Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Associate
for desire you need to install htc sync, then select internet sharing from the options you get when you connect the phone to the pc with the usb cable.

guess no one read my post last night about tethering, wanted to know if you could remove htc after its installed the required driver and what not or do you have to have it installed to use tethering every time(i.e. is htc needed to be installed just for the drivers or does it have something that is required to have it installed to use tethering)?

I was testing on my dad's netbook so wouldn't be syncing my phone on it, my dad has no use for htc sync so I'll be uninstalling it, so was wondering if I wanted use tethering on it in the future would I have to reinstall htc sync on it.

This is right - it is in the "How-tos" section of "Learn more" on the desire, under "Internet Connections".

The one thing that bugs me about the Android (this being my 2nd Android phone) is the lack of NTLM authentication. I'm hoping that firefox for android will sort that out, although I won't hold my breath - Opera didn't.

Soldato
Would be cool if Droid / Milestone keeps getting the latest updates... more incentive to buy one :D

I wonder what ace(s) Google have up their sleeve to combat iPhoney OS 4 though?

Su

DiG

DiG

Associate
Would be cool if Droid / Milestone keeps getting the latest updates... more incentive to buy one :D

I wonder what ace(s) Google have up their sleeve to combat iPhoney OS 4 though?

Su

I don't think they really need to, seeing as OS 4 just tried to add thinks Android already has, hopefully Google will have some nice things for us, my prediction is:

* JIT
* More UI tweaks
* Better market
* Apps2SD, possible
* Lots of method depreciations just to **** us developers off! :D

Plus I'm sure they will keep the Droid updated because its currently the best QWERTY slider and they have been giving them out to developers recently

DiG

DiG

Associate
Fixed that for you ;) :p

They're giving them away at the developers conference in May aren't they, along side the Nexus One?

Well yes, thats also true!

Everyone attending is being posted one before the event, but also they gave a N1/Droids away to top market developers, though no one outside of the US has received theirs yet (including me, I'm nervously waiting for the doorbell to ring every day! lol)

DiG

DiG

Associate
Well the leaks have started, so far we know/suspect

* Flash
* 360 degree rotation (suspect)
* New home screen

Source for these

* JIT - Source for this
* Apps2SD - Source for this
* Built in USB and Wifi tethering Final source

So, its looking like a good update, I really hope Google have decided to go after all the other small niggles like tethering such as screen shots etc

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think they really need to, seeing as OS 4 just tried to add thinks Android already has, hopefully Google will have some nice things for us, my prediction is:

* JIT
* More UI tweaks
* Better market
* Apps2SD, possible
* Lots of method depreciations just to **** us developers off! :D

Plus I'm sure they will keep the Droid updated because its currently the best QWERTY slider and they have been giving them out to developers recently

This is eaxactly what I was going to say.
iPhone OS4 is simply adding things that either Android already have in 2.1 or will soon have in 2.2
Apple are on the back foot now and are the ones playing catch-up.
From all the reports so far, OS4 is not going to bring anything really new to the table.

iPhone's App store may still (at the moment) be better than the Android Market - but that is the only department it's winning in.

Associate
USB tethering and WiFi tethering cannot be a good thing IMO. That will blitz your data usage limit in 5 minutes if you're on 3 Orange or Vodafone :(

My guess is the custom network ROMs won't have these features enabled, leading to an even longer delay between 2.2 source and 2.2 on phones like the Desire :( Either that or the networks will automatically give us a "tether" bundle, at extra cost :(

DiG

DiG

Associate
tbh I've kind of given up on the Market ever being improved, it just needs so much work doing and I don't get how Google let it be so bad!

USB tethering and WiFi tethering cannot be a good thing IMO. That will blitz your data usage limit in 5 minutes if you're on 3 Orange or Vodafone :(

My guess is the custom network ROMs won't have these features enabled, leading to an even longer delay between 2.2 source and 2.2 on phones like the Desire :( Either that or the networks will automatically give us a "tether" bundle, at extra cost :(

Even if it does blitz your data limit, how can having the option be a bad thing? For those of use on good data plans, its great!

Associate
i worry about motorola, they held back on UK 2.1 until the carriers were happy with it as they are only doing one firmware drop.
so one carrier doesn't like tethering we all suffer?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I flashed my Orange branded HTC Desire to the Generic ROM, so when 2.2 is released I assume I can just download it and install without a problem?

Associate
but you can access phones internal files so how are the apps protected now? you can back up apps and install on another device now without root.

seriously though not having apps2sd is serious stupid. i have 15mb left i had to uninstall few things to get rid of the low memory warnning.

if 2.2 does not bring apps2sd i will either root it or get rid of it.

Note: sense UI has flash lite which allows you to run flash content on all the sites shown by google/adobe using flash 10.1......

Soldato
I'm confused... I thought Adobe said that full blown Flash for andriod wasnt going to be ready until later in the year?

DiG

DiG

Associate
I'm confused... I thought Adobe said that full blown Flash for andriod wasnt going to be ready until later in the year?

No, that turned out to be a misquote, I think they said we wouldn't see new devices with flash until later, but existing devices will get it sooner, something like that!

Soldato
Ok good news then. Just hope there will be an update for it to play all avi's like my gf's N900 - cant believe it still cant play them!

Back
Top Bottom