Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Soldato
even if we dont im sure the rom will be made to fit the hero :cool:

That takes a lot of time. The reason you see 2.1 HTC Hero ROMs at the moment is due to leaks which happened very early on.

So if HTC start work on 2.2 after they manage to finish 2.1, leaks of early builds may take some time.

Besides, the main features of 2.2, Adobe flash, better use of snapdragon, aren't actually going to benefit the HTC Hero. Since I assume you are rooted, things like wireless tether and apps2sd aren't exactly things you don't have.

Last edited:
Associate
That takes a lot of time. The reason you see 2.1 HTC Hero ROMs at the moment is due to leaks which happened very early on.

So if HTC start work on 2.2 after they manage to finish 2.1, leaks of early builds may take some time.

Besides, the main features of 2.2, Adobe flash, better use of snapdragon, aren't actually going to benefit the HTC Hero. Since I assume you are rooted, things like wireless tether and apps2sd aren't exactly things you don't have.

Yeah but the increase in efficiency of Android 2.2's core OS WILL be useful to him, a 2.2 Hero would easily outstrip the much never 2.1 Legend if the Hero got the update first..... If.....

Soldato
Yeah but the increase in efficiency of Android 2.2's core OS WILL be useful to him, a 2.2 Hero would easily outstrip the much never 2.1 Legend if the Hero got the update first..... If.....

People suspect the reason we will see 250%+ improvements isn't because of some magical efficiency gains, but because of better coding for snapdragon. Just think about it for a second. It'd be like programs on windows suddenly running 3x as fast. It wouldn't be because of "efficiency" gains (unless it was terribly coded to begin with) but use of SSE3 or SSE4.

I haven't seen any other efficiency gains. Better GPU use is pointless since the Hero doesn't have one.

edit:

I was talking about SSE3/4 in the context of PCs

Last edited:

DiG

DiG

Associate
People suspect the reason we will see 250%+ improvements isn't because of some magical efficiency gains, but because of better coding for snapdragon. Just think about it for a second. It'd be like programs on windows suddenly running 3x as fast. It wouldn't be because of "efficiency" gains (unless it was terribly coded to begin with) but use of SSE3 or SSE4.

I haven't seen any other efficiency gains. Better GPU use is pointless since the Hero doesn't have one.

edit:

I was talking about SSE3/4 in the context of PCs

Can we stop claiming 250%+ gains, this won't happen.

This is for a test where you are doing the same thing repeatedly, which is exactly what JIT is designed for, in everyday use the gain won't be anywhere near 250%. Don't get me wrong its still a great thing to have, but don't expect your device to run 2.5x faster overnight!

Soldato
Can we stop claiming 250%+ gains, this won't happen.

This is for a test where you are doing the same thing repeatedly, which is exactly what JIT is designed for, in everyday use the gain won't be anywhere near 250%. Don't get me wrong its still a great thing to have, but don't expect your device to run 2.5x faster overnight!

I wasn't saying that the OS will be that much faster. Even with the compiler, do you really suspect it was that badly coded to begin with? It must be accessing additional features of snapdragon.

Just like how encoders and other cpu intensive programs on PCs do when new instruction sets come out.

edit:

This is what developers seem to be saying from what I've read.

Last edited:

DiG

DiG

Associate
I wasn't saying that the OS will be that much faster. Even with the compiler, do you really suspect it was that badly coded to begin with? It must be accessing additional features of snapdragon.

Just like how encoders and other cpu intensive programs on PCs do when new instruction sets come out.

edit:

This is what developers seem to be saying from what I've read.

Froyo might well include processor specific updates, but the benchmark is down to JIT, not additional features of snapdragon. Have a google and then it will make sence

Soldato

i do , i also have jit enabeled, but its not all that stable, so hopefully a proper froyo rom would solve it, by the time a real 2.1 rom comes out for the hero my contrct will have probably ended :rolleyes:

Soldato
2.1 doesn't have JIT? In which case some of my posts don't make sense. Surprised no one pointed it out (or I failed to appreciate it @DiG).

I thought 2.2 was bringing a better implementation of JIT, rather than one at all. :o

Last edited:

DiG

DiG

Associate
2.1 doesn't have JIT? In which case some of my posts don't make sense. Surprised no one pointed it out (or I failed to appreciate it @DiG).

I thought 2.2 was bringing a better implementation of JIT, rather than one at all. :o

That would explain the confusion! No JIT is a new feature for 2. 2, slightly confusingly there are a few custom roms with JIT enabled but these are all fairly unstable

Soldato
That would explain the confusion! No JIT is a new feature for 2. 2, slightly confusingly there are a few custom roms with JIT enabled but these are all fairly unstable

they are, as i said im running villainroms superhero rom with JIT and get double the speed of the standerd rom, but i have some instabilitys.

DiG

DiG

Associate
Right, so we are nearly there as Google IO starts tomorrow!

For those that are:
a) Massive Android Geeks
b) Students
c) Both and supposed to be revising (me!)

The Keynotes are being streamed live on youtube here at the following times:
Wednesday 19th 9:00-10:30 (17:00 here)
Thursday 20th 8:30-10:00 (16:30 here)

EDIT: I got the wrong times, now corrected

Last edited:
Associate

For those that are:
a) Massive Android Geeks
b) Students

Wednesday 19th 9:00-10:30 (16:00 here)
Thursday 20th 8:30-10:00 (15:30 here)

I'm a student and geek, but I've finished my exams :p I'll be watching without the guilt :D

ps don't hate me, its mechanical engineering and I had 5 exams :rolleyes:

Soldato

For those that are:
a) Massive Android Geeks
b) Students

Wednesday 19th 9:00-10:30 (16:00 here)
Thursday 20th 8:30-10:00 (15:30 here)

I'll have some of that at work, I can call it 'research' and probably get away with it :D

Associate
Ah I wanna watch but I have too much to do :(

I'm a student and geek, but I've finished my exams :p I'll be watching without the guilt :D

How did you get away with that!? I do mechanical engineering and I still have 8 exams left! :p

Aod

Aod

Soldato

i'm Computer engineering and i still have three exams left :(

today i'm in a 0900-2200 revision session and i suspect my associates will take a dim view of me watching the Google keynotes instead of revising.

can you write notes up here in the thread? :)

How did you get away with that!? I do mechanical engineering and I still have 8 exams left! :p
:eek: poor you :(

Associate
i'm Computer engineering and i still have three exams left :(

today i'm in a 0900-2200 revision session and i suspect my associates will take a dim view of me watching the Google keynotes instead of revising.

can you write notes up here in the thread? :)

No doubt engadget or gizmodo or your preferred tech blog can help there :)

Back
Top Bottom