1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angels & Demons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by panthro, 25 Feb 2006.

1. panthro

Capodecina

I just read this book...and wow....what an amazing read. I visited Rome a couple of years ago and it has made me want to go back and look round more.
    I haven't read the Da Vinci Code yet, but its next on the list. What does anyone else reckon on the whole "Illuminati" cult? Real or not?

2. fatiain

Sgarrista

They're on to you now. :D

3. Beansprout

Man of Honour

They're great books, though as I read all them they ended up being pretty similar in style. Still made for good reads, though.

The books are fiction extrapolated from a small truth.

4. Phog

Mobster

They're a good, clean read but i wouldn't use them as a source of information!

5. Jokester

Don

Yeah I found Angels and Demons to be a better read than The Da Vinci Code, but they seem to be pretty formulaic. Haven't read his others but apparently they're not so good.

Jokester

6. Sequoia

Wise Guy

More than that, IMHO.

What makes Brown's books a captivating read (IMHO of course) is that he takes a grain of truth here, a nugget there, a verifiable fact or two, some things we all know to be true, and from those credibility-giving items, he weaves a semi-credible but fanciful web of conspiracy theories.

I've read each of his books, and as I read, I found myself thinking "well, I know that is true, and this is plausible, so could that be true too?"

I KNOW, from common sense, that the overall concept is pure fiction, but the beauty of his construction is that nobody is quite sure where truth ends and fiction starts. The joins are pretty well hidden and THAT is why I like his books.

7. PeterNem

Sgarrista

Spot on Sequoia, the line between fact and fiction is so well blurred that it makes it very easy to beleive as you are reading.

8. Ricochet J

Capodecina

Dan Brown books are great. I read The Da Vanci Code first and I am in the process of reading Angels and Deamons. I've got to say, its erm, alot similar to The Da Vinci Code in my opinion.

I'm going to read it all the way though and really reserve my opinion till the end of the book, but so far so good.

9. Matblack

Capodecina

[​IMG]

MB

10. Sequoia

Wise Guy

Exactly. You finish and end up half-thinking "It's all just fiction ................. isn't it?" :confused: :)

You know it is just fiction, but there's that nagging "What if ...." hovering in the back of your mind.

11. Sepheh

Mobster

Angels and demons is undoubtably better than the Da Vinci code, but you won't be disappointed with that either!

12. Etaqua

Gangster

Jokester: Digital Fortress was awesome. :o

I highly recommend you all read it. :)

13. Randell Floyd

Wise Guy

I read them all on Holiday, and was told to read Angles and Demons first as people will know why.

I thought Angels was a better book than Da Vinci, not by very much but enough.
    Digital Fortress I found myself having to finish for the sake of finishing not out of enjoyment, possible readin all four in a week wasn't the best way to do it.

Da Vinici I though was more of a 'can't put down' kind of book, and so I finished it in a single day.

Can't wait for the movie to see all the locations etc.

14. Sic

Capodecina

i loved angels and demons. couldnt put the damn book down. i read it in about 3 days and i thought it was fantastic. havent read the da vinci code and i dont intend to

15. Beansprout

Man of Honour

Too right - small truths :)

I don't want to put in any spoilers, but I wonder if any physicists have worked out if the ending of Angels & Demons is actually possible :D

Angels&Demons was definitely my favourite book of them all - science, religion and ancient history all intricately mixed...fascinating stuff.

16. Bracco

Hitman

I have a feeling that I read Angels & Demons last out of the 3 almost identical Dan Brown books, so I didn't like it as much as I could have. The stories may be totally different, but the writing is the same and it becomes a little boring by the third go. I definately enjoyed The Da Vinci Code a lot more, from reading it first.
    Saying that, it is still captivating, and it would probably be quite cool to go around Rome and look at the different places.

17. Feek

Commissario

I much preferred A&D to Da Vinci even if parts towards the end are a little unbelievable.

K.

18. PinkPig

Mobster

Grrr, I hate Dan Brown's books. All of them are the same, they're written terribly, and the author seems to imply some "truth" from a work of fiction. Yuck.

19. hendrix

Wise Guy

I don't think they are written terribly. They kept me interested in them throughout Angels & Demons / Da Vinci Code. I found it hard to put them down when I was reading them. All his books are pretty much the same sort of story though which is the only bad thing... "Something bad happens, man + woman solve it, make love at the end" :p

I still find them very good books to read though. Angels & Demons is definately my favourate out of them all.

20. Phog

Mobster

It's cool to hate them though. :rolleyes: