Angels & Demons

Soldato
hendrix said:
I don't think they are written terribly. They kept me interested in them throughout Angels & Demons / Da Vinci Code. I found it hard to put them down when I was reading them.

Well fair enough, but I've found them very tiresome after the first hundred pages or so. The Da Vinci code tries to be clever but most of it is about car chases through Paris. Doesn't appeal at all I'm afraid.

Associate
Sequoia said:
Exactly. You finish and end up half-thinking "It's all just fiction ................. isn't it?" :confused: :)

You know it is just fiction, but there's that nagging "What if ...." hovering in the back of your mind.
Exactly what I was thinking when I read them - got through Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, Digital Fortress and Deception Point on holiday last year. They're great "sitting in the sun with a beer and yer feet up" sort of reading. Deception Point was probably my least favourite but the others were very addictive stuff.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Beansprout said:
The books are fiction extrapolated from a small truth.

What he said. The fiction mixes with fact and attempts to pass off fiction as fact without you noticing. Don't believe anything you read in the books as fact unless proven otherwise.

I read the Da Vinci Code long before all of the hype. I did enjoy it, but I hate the idea of having reading it because it's 'popular' *shrugs*

I've read Deception Point too, I did enjoy that. I liked the whole arctic thing and the isolation :)

*SPOILER!*

What I enjoyed the most about the book [Da Vinci's Code] was the way it attacked religion and the way he twisted the search for the holy grail into this. I quite liked the ending too to do with a certain resting place of a certain artifact.

*END OF SPOILER!*

Last edited:
Caporegime
not read the da vinci, but A+D was pretty good, until the end, which was weak.

i also like the attack on religion, as the religious zealots are accountabe for so many wrong doings in history and these need to be brought to the attention of the public.

i like the way the religious have called for vbans on the da vinci code film, and prayed for "fiction" stickers etc to label it everywhere.

i might campaign for "fictious" stickers to be stamped onto every copy of the bible also, as they have even less proof that the events actually did occur.

Thread Ressurection+1

Associate
Digital Fortress was rubbish. :o

Liked the other three, though Deception Point was perhaps a little too sci-fi. Good though, and I agree that A&D was probably the best of the lot. Love the ambigrams things too, I find them really interesting. Here's a cool one I found (perhaps not technically an ambigram, don't they have to read the same word both ways round?):

:edit:

That's not my arm btw. Though it is a really cool tattoo. ;)

Soldato
Just to let you know, there's a show on five at 9PM tonight titled "Angels & Demons: The True Story". Seems to be a bit of a Dan Brown/Da Vinci Code marathon tonight.

The Magical TV Guide said:
Angels & Demons: The True Story

Film examining 'The da Vinci Code' author Dan Brown's novel 'Angels and Demons'. It's a story of high intrigue, and the threat posed to the Catholic Church by a secret society known as the Illuminati. But is any of it based on real events? This film separates fact from fiction, revealing just who the Illuminati were, and what their real significance was.

Including the sculptor Bernini's supposed secret messages, and the book's central theme: the age-old conflict between science and religion.

Associate
That's what I thought this thread was going to be about, the TV programmes. I thought the first one started at 8 though...and The Apprentice is on, so I'd better set the tape. :p

Man of Honour
Jokester said:
Yeah I found Angels and Demons to be a better read than The Da Vinci Code, but they seem to be pretty formulaic. Haven't read his others but apparently they're not so good.

Jokester

Definitely. A&D I found an excellent thriller, it was a much more captivating story for me than TDC as searching for the grail doesn't really fill me with interest. The action just seems a bit better and apart from a somewhat OTT fantasy ending I enjoyed it from start to finish.

Digital Fortress is done on a somewhat smaller scale. I think Brown arguably had a lot less confidence at the time he wrote that book and it lacks the panache of his later works. While the premise and plot development is perfectly reasonable, the action scenes feel somewhat contrived, it's a long way from Clancy-class.

The one thing all 3 of his books that I have read have in common is a 'hidden enemy', a few red herrings thrown in before some twist to suprise you with a traitor or unexpected baddie.

Associate
Read Angels & Demons prior to visiting Rome in March, thought it was an excellent story, superior to the Da Vinci code IMO

Also read The Traveller when I was out there, the author is someone called John Twelve Hawkes (I think), his style of writing is very similar to Dan Brown - do you think Hawkes is Dan Brown's alter ego?

Soldato
Once you've read one of his books, you've pretty much read them all. Not detracting from the fact that they are written well, and in isolation are very good reads, just that he has tweaked a basic storyline and released several times.

Back
Top Bottom