Annoying Things on TV and Movies That Get Your Goat.

Permabanned
Hot wiring a car takes all of 15 seconds.

New characters in a Soap are on personal terms with all the other characters
within a few weeks.

People turn on a TV or Radio just at the right time to hear a major plot twist.

Multiple punches to the face never result in lasting damage.

No one locks a door when they leave a house.

Soldato
i'm getting bored of people constantly cocking their guns, pumping shotguns etc.

also silencers are stupid and annoying - they behave like magic in movies/tv.

Soldato
The noise of guns in general. If someone has a gun out, there's a rattle sound constantly. If they're walking with a gun, it's rattling.

Soldato
As an ex-military person (switch off now normal folks :D) - When 85% of the films that involve some from of "serious" military action (think Windtalkers/Behind Enemy Lines etc rather than deliberately cheesy like Rambo 2-5/Commando etc) haven't run the script past a Military Liaison first and get sooooooooo many big and small things wrong which, to be fair, 97% of the population may not spot but it drives me batty. Even big summer blockbusters get it wrong so it's not like cost is an issue, especially when it's 10 minutes of internet research to get the right name/designation, or a quick phone call to a liaison officer to ask a question etc, it just strikes me as a bit "lazy" (maybe unfair I realise).

In fact when that rare 15% or so get it "right" (movements, tactics, sounds visuals etc) it tends to make the film "look" right too which is even noticeable to non-geeks, just look at the action scenes in Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers/Blackhawk Down etc vs the OTT action sequences in Windtalkers/Hacksaw Ridge/Behind Enemy Lines and a whole heap more.

Now it doesn't make those "bad" films at all, it just takes away some of my enjoyment as I see obviously wrong things like yet another "normal voice level" conversation being held in the back of a C-130 Hercules (you need to yell in someones ear for them to hear you over the deafening engine roar IRL) for example.

PS Don't get me started on the new craze of using CGI to simulate firing a gun and getting shot rather than use blanks and blood splat bags etc - Yes is much cheaper/easier for the film company (permits/licenses etc) but it always 100% of the time looks as fake as it is!

Last edited:
Soldato
Car/motorbike engine sounds that are off a different vehicle, especially IL4 sounds on a V2 bike!

I also hate it when you hear >6 upward gear changes, fast and furious films are the worst for this.

Man of Honour
One of the things I hate is when people still act surprised or can't adapt to circumstances long after even the most mentally challenged person would have come to terms with the situation.

Also when people do something really dumb like standing around in the open celebrating a victory in a dangerous situation that is guaranteed to get them killed and the rest of the movie or tv show has built up the characters to be more experienced than that :s

Hot wiring a car takes all of 15 seconds.

I dunno about newer cars but there was a guy lived a few houses up from me in the 80-90s who was infamous for being able to break into and hotwire cars with just a screwdriver in sub 10 seconds. I mean literally half the time the cops were coming to the door to arrest him and half the time to enlist his help :s

Last edited:
Soldato
Car chases that want you to think they’re really fast but clearly shot at under 50mph....

Tom Cruise

Fighting sounds

Regardless of the film/situation, the actors look gorgeous.

Associate
Gratuitous sex scenes in everything. I have to pre-watch everything these days before I can let my kids watch.

I had a barny with my wife over Coronation Street due to a couple of sex scenes before the water shed whilst both my kids where still awake. I've stopped her from watching it whilst the kids are around due to the content.

Soldato
Gratuitous sex scenes in everything. I have to pre-watch everything these days before I can let my kids watch.

I had a barny with my wife over Coronation Street due to a couple of sex scenes before the water shed whilst both my kids where still awake. I've stopped her from watching it whilst the kids are around due to the content.
Just how gratuitous are we talking? I might have to start watching!

Back
Top Bottom