Another car spec me thread. Please :)

Soldato
Hi all I'm after a little advice on what car to go with next.

Im moving back to the UK soon which means I will need to sell my 2018 A5 Sport back as I don't want to be paying finance as it drops even more in value.

Ideally I want to buy something in cash and keep for a few years while not deprecatating any further than what I buy it for.

Budget is up to £10k and I don't mind having something I can spend a little money on over its ownership to tidy it up.

Some of the ideas I think maybe sensible are:

E46 M3 (Not sure if a OK example that could be tieded up can be had for that budget still? Would be a good investment I'm thinking)

E46 330ci (Well under budget. Are these going to keep falling in price or do you think then have bottomed out?)

E30 325i (something about this car in a nice grey or black takes my fancy. No idea on maint costs though and future value)

E92 335i (More modern than the rest and good options for tuning. Again no idea if they are bottoming out yet?)

Any other ideas? I don't want a 4x4 or suv but a hatch, coupe, saloon or even 2 seater would be fine.

Thanks Sam

Associate
Can't contribute other than saying if your budget is 10k and want to own an E46 330ci you can get an amazing example for a lot less than that and have plenty of change.

Soldato
The early 335i coupes are interestingly "can" even with low enough mileage to stick a BMW warranty on.

However, most are auto, it will have early idrive which looks really old and you will almost definitely lose money through paying for a monthly insurance product even if the car doesn't go down in value too much.

I still think it it would make quite a nice daily driver with the option to give a blast the long way home when the mood takes you, but not really a fun car per se

E46 M3 if you buy a good one you will then need to spend money keeping it good (not an issue as such) but won't really want to be sticking loads of miles on it.

330ci - not special enough to warrant more than a few grand purchase price imo. Still a great cheap car that is easy to work on, but they aren't particularly quick, almost universally rusting away and I just don't think I could be bothered fixing it all the time / preventatively maintaining

Considered a z4? You can buy a 3.0si for pretty sensible money at the moment - can't see them dropping massively

Last edited:
Caporegime
E46 330i great cars but you’ll be throwing money at it most likely.

E46 M3 as above but potentially much more so, £10k is probably lower end of the market for a good one, although it won’t depreciate too much if it’s clean and you keep it nice.

E30 325i Forget it for a daily, too old, reliability could very well be an issue and a clean useable example will most likely be silly money - most good ones are - value will only go one way IF it’s a good example.

E92 335i Much more modern, as said, you could possibly even get a BMW warranty on it, I’d guess the least faff to own & run.

2 Seater, S2000?

Back
Top Bottom