Another dead PS3 for me....

Associate
I understand that, it's just that I know a few people who repeatedly kill numerous pieces of equipment; consoles, CD players, CDJ's etc. These people smoke a lot, and the only time I've ever had lens equipment fail was in the year I lived with a heavy smoker.

I just wondered if those people that repeatedly have equipment failures on here also smoke, or said equipment is exposed to smoke.

Associate
My PS3 been playing up too not reading disks

You know what it could be smoke related as I do smoke, but I think it will be more related to me leaving disks out of their cases.

What I have noticed though is BR/DVD drives tend to break a lot quicker that say CD readers used to. I know the laser LED has to read a tighter track the bigger the disk so it could be that its stressed more. Also tiny scratches/blemishes which probably wouldnt have affected CDs being read would maybe make BD difficult to read. I have a few CD's which im amazed can still be read.

At the moment my PS3 does eventually find the disk but I will maybe try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O-8NzYHr80 if it gets beyond that.

Associate
I understand that, it's just that I know a few people who repeatedly kill numerous pieces of equipment; consoles, CD players, CDJ's etc. These people smoke a lot, and the only time I've ever had lens equipment fail was in the year I lived with a heavy smoker.

I just wondered if those people that repeatedly have equipment failures on here also smoke, or said equipment is exposed to smoke.

None smoker here and both consoles (ps3,360) have died on me so your theory is wrong in my case.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I thought Xbox360 was bad, I feel their pain. Least MS swap out RROD for free, Sony - anything past 12 months... that'll be £128 please sir... Yeah right..!! Thanks Sony.

Microsoft have to do this (offer extended warranty) or they'd face a class action lawsuit regarding the failure rate.

Soldato
OP
None smoker, never allow anyone to smoke in my house either....

Whatever happened to my PS3's isn't due to abuse or anything. I looked after it well, it was also in an area that means it should vent well, and to be honest it shouldn't have happened IMO.

Be interesting to see what watchdog say....

Soldato
OP
Well after a few hours of removing 40gb hdd replacing with 500gb, restores, settings, re-isntall of games, firmware updates and resetting up PSN etc, its all back to where I started and hopefully this one last a little longer....

Oddly, my PSP can't wake this PS3 up via internet in remote play like my last one, so thats annoying..!! I'll check my router, maybe the PS3 MAC is being port blocked or something...

also, bbc iplayer icon does re-appear once you sign into PSN. If this one dies within three months I will not be a happy bunny.

I'll watch the PS3 watchdog report tonight with much interest.

Soldato
OP
Mines just gave me the yellow light of death after 2 years of service.

£120 sony are quoting for a replacement 60gb which wont be here til a week thursday apparently.

Hmmm... Try quoting the sales of goods act, and not fit for purpose to see if they drop the charge and see what watchdog say on tonight's show.

£120 to replace a unit that fails like they do isn't really on, so good luck.

I managed to get 12 months warranty on my refurb and replaced for free, although I had a previous refurb that died within three months, but still... I wasn't accepting anymore of the three month warranty rubbish as I've no faith in the hardware lasting past that TBH.

Good luck..

Associate
Hmmm... Try quoting the sales of goods act, and not fit for purpose to see if they drop the charge and see what watchdog say on tonight's show.

£120 to replace a unit that fails like they do isn't really on, so good luck.

I managed to get 12 months warranty on my refurb and replaced for free, although I had a previous refurb that died within three months, but still... I wasn't accepting anymore of the three month warranty rubbish as I've no faith in the hardware lasting past that TBH.

Good luck..

Sounds like something might do.

Have found websites offering a fix for the problem for a lot less than the £120 sony are quoting.

Will have a think about it and then decide.

Back
Top Bottom