Another 'Grinds My Gears'

Man of Honour
You'd have to have your head popping out of the window to not be looking at (or through) the inside of your car...

The middle of the inside of your car - the gearstick, if that helps.

Likewise, if you look at the closest window to face 'outside' the car, you will be facing the right hand lane (you will be looking outside of the drivers window on the right hand side of the car).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This does annoy me.

A lot, I usually make a point of under taking these people. (Does that make me as bad as they are?)

Well, it can be potentially dangerous if a car is swooping from the outside lane to the inside lane - he might not check for a car on the inside lane because he shouldn't have to. So yes, it's also bad driving practice and should be avoided.

Associate
I may be wrong here but if you in a lane and your lane is travelling faster then the next to you (to your right) that is not undertaking. So as long as you move to the left in good time and only move into the right lane to overtake it's permissible.

Probably wrong though.

Man of Honour
hehe, sounds like my bf. The outside lane is the Mercedes lane and if he pushes in front of someone he says 'They'll understand, we're in a Merc'.

You'd never think he was a policeman...:D

You have reminded me of my other motorway peeve - people who plough the outside lane at 100 mph regardless of any traffic. Utterly moronic - if I needed to tap my breaks due to the manoeuvring of a car in front of me, you could have a 10 car pile up after they smash into the back of you.

Why people think that everybody should move out of the way so they can execute their 'plough' procedure is beyond me - you can't just get out of the outside lane, even in moderate traffic.

These types in combination with middle lane drivers make for motorway hell.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never felt at risk of being 'done' for passing on the inside i.e. undertaking.
I rely on the old Highway Code defence.
(But I pass with care in view of the other HC requirement, to leave space for the other vehicle to pull in unexpectedly)

Associate
OP
I may be wrong here but if you in a lane and your lane is travelling faster then the next to you (to your right) that is not undertaking. So as long as you move to the left in good time and only move into the right lane to overtake it's permissible.

Probably wrong though.

No, if you are in heavy traffic I think that this is ok as it's regarded as filtering. Insurance companies normally take a 50/50 stance if there is an accident though I believe...

Associate
OP
You have reminded me of my other motorway peeve - people who plough the outside lane at 100 mph regardless of any traffic. Utterly moronic - if I needed to tap my breaks due to the manoeuvring of a car in front of me, you could have a 10 car pile up after they smash into the back of you.

Why people think that everybody should move out of the way so they can execute their 'plough' procedure is beyond me - you can't just get out of the outside lane, even in moderate traffic.

These types in combination with middle lane drivers make for motorway hell.

Agreed. Normally knob ends in fancy BMW's or Mercs that they don't own (company cars)...

Associate
What's even more annoying than people sat in the middle lane? People sat in the right lane. Particular offenders tend to be van drivers and people who think their dinky hatchbacks are faster than they actually are. FFS let the superior cars go past!!!

Soldato
I got pulled over once on the motorway, not for speeding but for simply filtering. When we got all the formals out of the way (licence ect) he started asking why I think I was pulled, I mentioned as it was unsafe for me to sit in the fast lane doing 60 behind a people carrier as some muppet in a merc or something will rocket up, slam his brakes and either hit me or the car, I chose to move and undertake as I would rather it be the car that got hit. He agreed and ended up having a chat with me saying as much as he hates it due to being a major cause of accidents, nothing can be done as they are not technically breaking any law...

let me on my way with a friendly warning. Nice chap come to think about it.

ags

Back
Top Bottom