Another 'Grinds My Gears'

Soldato
You have reminded me of my other motorway peeve - people who plough the outside lane at 100 mph regardless of any traffic. Utterly moronic - if I needed to tap my breaks due to the manoeuvring of a car in front of me, you could have a 10 car pile up after they smash into the back of you.

Why people think that everybody should move out of the way so they can execute their 'plough' procedure is beyond me - you can't just get out of the outside lane, even in moderate traffic.

These types in combination with middle lane drivers make for motorway hell.

I had this driving back from Gatwick after teh honeymoon. Used to USA driving, came back and had some **** in a 4x4 come charging up behind me flashing his lights. I couldn't go anywhere due to traffic plus I was doing 90mph ish anyway.

Pulled over when I could and he pulls up next to me doing the ****** hand gesture and his mate doing gun signs. So they got hand gestures back. Then the pulled in front and slowed down, i over took. this goes on for 10 miles before they pull on to the hard shoulder!

Soldato
What about cars going 70/75 in the middle lane...is that acceptable? Or is it just the people that drive at less than 70 mph that annoy people?

3 lanes, from left to right i always based it upon speed, slow lane for lorries/vans/slow drivers, middle lane for overtaking and right lane for more overtaking at a little higher speed.

some people seem to think any lane is good enough and have it in their mind that if its a clear lane its the best... but in realistic terms, they are creating traffic.

But as it stands, you should always use the middle and right lane for overtaking, nothing more unless traffic/congestion

ags

Associate
I agree with you agnes, I only sit in the middle lane when overtaking something in the left lane. Once I'm done, I pull back over.

If there's a slow driver in the middle lane in front of me, I'll overtake him in the right lane, then jump back to the middle until I can get back to the left.

Soldato
he might not check for a car on the inside lane because he shouldn't have to..

C'mooon, I hope you don't mean that as "when moving into the inside lane you shouldn't have to look regardless of mirrors, signalling or manueveouvering". That's BS, of course he should!

Reading this thread, as a predominant biker, I can see the attitude of some people is in the direct direction. Except for the above which I hope is not true, or that means my ass! Not that I undertake on bike, more that I could be doing 70 and in the drivers inside blind spot whilst middle laner is also doing around same speed.

Middle and outside are for overtaking. Legally you are allowed to exceed 70mph as long as you cut back in when safe to do so, etc. What seems to happen most is people will move out to overtake and cba to move back in the inner lanes maintaining speed because they see a lorry doing 65mph 1/2 a mile ahead and think "I'll just stick in this lane".

In reality they could move in the inside for a good 20-30 seconds allowing faster moving/over taking vehicles to go past before finding a safe time to over take the lorry.

The attitude of the type of car you are in, whoring the outside lane and ramming your front end 6m up the other car at 70+mph is unreal.

I've heard many older school bikers saying they don't ride as much if at all now due to two main reasons:

1) Friends being killed through accidents
2) Drivers/Riders idiocy being forever on the increase.

Either way it all points to the fact that people are becoming stupider on the roads. If it be lack of concentration, due care, knowledge, experience or whatever. People need to relax more and just take their damn time.

When driving you are in control of a killing machine, possibly the nations number one killer, iirc.

So stop acting like douche bags when you get in one!!!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've heard many older school bikers saying they don't ride as much if at all now due to two main reasons:

1) Friends being killed through accidents
2) Drivers/Riders idiocy being forever on the increase.

Agree here - I've been a biker for 20 years plus. These are the main reasons why people give up.

Mind you, I still love a good blast on a summers morning!!

Soldato
I still love a good blast on a summers morning!!

Fair weatherer :p

I've been riding two years, daily to work and back except extreme conditions these days. Also out on weekends and the like.

I'm still uber cautious and even more so when the Mrs is on the back. You just can't be too sure these days when you watch some people.

Man of Honour
C'mooon, I hope you don't mean that as "when moving into the inside lane you shouldn't have to look regardless of mirrors, signalling or manueveouvering". That's BS, of course he should!

He should, but he might not, because if everyone is following the highway code, where undertaking is discouraged, then he might not think there is a reason to.

Motorists shouldn't put themselves in position where they might cause a careless driver to make a mistake. If you have undertaken somebody and a car crashes into you, it doesn't matter which way you are going to try and push who is more at fault if you're dead.

Associate
OP
Fair weatherer :p

I've been riding two years, daily to work and back except extreme conditions these days. Also out on weekends and the like.

I'm still uber cautious and even more so when the Mrs is on the back. You just can't be too sure these days when you watch some people.

Absolutely!... I was knocked off my bike about 5 years ago by a fella who claimed he didn't see me... Mind you, don't think he could see a lot full stop as he was about 90!...

Luckily I wasn't injured but the bike needed extensive repairs, so the insurance wrote it off... Tried to buy it back so I could build a track bike, but the insurance company refused...

Soldato
because if everyone is following the highway code, where undertaking is discouraged, then he might not think there is a reason to.

Hahaha, of course this happens! and I'm the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane!

In all honesty, I was just observing that whatever manouver you make needs to be performed correlcty. This pretty much always means observing mirrors and making signals, regardless if you live on another planet where everything/one is perfect ;)

I absolutley agree with your statement that you shouldn't put careless drivers in the position to do anything stupid in the first place. I was always taught to cater for less capable drivers on the road.

Absolutely!...

I don't blame you mate. I always think whilst its nice, I have a feeling as soon as anything happens to me or the bike my days riding will be severely reduced if not stopped.

Last edited:
Associate
You have reminded me of my other motorway peeve - people who plough the outside lane at 100 mph regardless of any traffic. Utterly moronic - if I needed to tap my breaks due to the manoeuvring of a car in front of me, you could have a 10 car pile up after they smash into the back of you.

Just want to add that the bf doesn't actually do this, so my post might have come across wrong - he's a very responsible driver :cool:

Man of Honour
Hahaha, of course this happens! and I'm the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane!

In all honesty, I was just observing that whatever manouver you make needs to be performed correclty. This pretty much always means observing mirrors and making signals, regardless if you live on another planet where everything is perfect ;)

We are making the same point from different angles. Not everybody is perfect - you should act like everybody on the road is an utter moron and be as cautious as possible to avoid potential accidents. This includes avoiding undertaking.

Likewise, if there are no cars on the road, that doesn't mean you shouldn't indicate as a pedestrian might not realise you are going to make a turning.

Soldato
We are making the same point from different angles. Not everybody is perfect - you should act like everybody on the road is an utter moron and be as cautious as possible to avoid potential accidents. This includes avoiding undertaking.

Likewise, if there are no cars on the road, that doesn't mean you shouldn't indicate as a pedestrian might not realise you are going to make a turning.

True that dude, true that. I edited above slightly to reflect that before you posted :)

Back
Top Bottom