Another 'Grinds My Gears'

Soldato
We are making the same point from different angles. Not everybody is perfect - you should act like everybody on the road is an utter moron and be as cautious as possible to avoid potential accidents. This includes avoiding undertaking.

My default position is that everyone on the road is trying to kill me and so I do my best to aviod this happening. However, I have been known to undertake (the last two times this happened I moved to lane 1 and they were still in lane 3) but only once I've given them plenty of time to move, have indicated that I would like to be past and have been reasonable in what I consider to be an opportunity for them to pull in.

Soldato
What i do with middle lane hoggers is just stay on the left hand land and pass them that way. This isn't undertaking as there are no lane changes, and the traffic in my lane I am in is travelling faster than the middle lane (hence I do nothing wrong) If this was considered to be undertaking then when the traffic really slows under volume of traffic everyone on the middle/inside lane would be in trouble if they happen to move past the lane to their right.

Man of Honour
[DOD]Asprilla;14946539 said:
My default position is that everyone on the road is trying to kill me and so I do my best to aviod this happening. However, I have been known to undertake (the last two times this happened I moved to lane 1 and they were still in lane 3) but only once I've given them plenty of time to move, have indicated that I would like to be past and have been reasonable in what I consider to be an opportunity for them to pull in.

That's what it's all about - being reasonable.

Associate
I get the feeling that some drivers are genuinely ignorant of certain parts of the highway code (god only knows how they passed their test). Case in point - a couple of days ago we were coming down the M62 from Yorkshire back towards Manchester. Doing a good 75-80mph in the middle lane (as there was plenty of slower cars in the left lane to overtake). Some Fiesta in the left lane doing about 60mph, signals right to try and overtake the car in front, is about to move out when he notices our car coming down at speed and pulls back quickly to abort the overtake.

He then has the audacity to flash his lights at us as we go past!!! FFS, if he's trying to overtake, then cars already coming down the middle lane have priority, and he should wait until the lane is clear before overtaking, shouldn't he? I'm sure there are plenty of other finer points of driving that might seem fairly obvious to you guys, but which are clearly lost on certain others. The rules of priority definitely seem to be one of them :/

Soldato
I use the principle that I should avoid performing any manouver that would cause someone else to brake.

Oviously, if you'd seen him signal in time and it was safe to do so then you could have moved out a lane, but it's still your right of way, as far as I'm concerned.

Soldato
What really grinds my gears is when some **** in a BMW gets right up your arse when you are in the fast lane flashing his lights, because my already high speed is not quite fast enough still for him, and I simply must get out of his way because he is more entitled to be there than me.
So out of spite I just maintain my speed to really **** him off.

What really grinds my gears is when some **** in a BMW gets right up your arse when you are in the fast lane flashing his lights, because my already high speed is not quite fast enough still for him, and I simply must get out of his way because he is more entitled to be there than me.
So out of spite I just maintain my speed to really **** him off.

If you are able to let him pass you should, unless you are unable to and he's doing this then as he goes past give him the finger!

Soldato
the + 10% is generally what speed camera are set at, 85 is more like a realistic figure before they pull you though my rule is not be the fastest on motorway, then there's always someone else to get pulled first.

(according to a member of the family in the know ;) )

edit : also what about ppl who just [try and] barge onto the motorway on slip roads like its their god given right, ignoring the fact that they are obliged to give way :s

Last edited:
Soldato
I get the feeling that some drivers are genuinely ignorant of certain parts of the highway code (god only knows how they passed their test). Case in point - a couple of days ago we were coming down the M62 from Yorkshire back towards Manchester. Doing a good 75-80mph in the middle lane (as there was plenty of slower cars in the left lane to overtake). Some Fiesta in the left lane doing about 60mph, signals right to try and overtake the car in front, is about to move out when he notices our car coming down at speed and pulls back quickly to abort the overtake.

He then has the audacity to flash his lights at us as we go past!!! FFS, if he's trying to overtake, then cars already coming down the middle lane have priority, and he should wait until the lane is clear before overtaking, shouldn't he? I'm sure there are plenty of other finer points of driving that might seem fairly obvious to you guys, but which are clearly lost on certain others. The rules of priority definitely seem to be one of them :/

He should wait yes but I don't think it is unreasonable for him to expect you to pull into the 3rd lane, if it is clear, to allow him to pull out. That would be my guess as to why he was unhappy.

Soldato
But the middle lane is safest. I feel comfy, and there is room either side of me for others to get past!

Why should i move for you? I love the middle lane. Its all warm and cosy. Oh, and its means I dont have to mess about with those big nasty trucks that are always in the left lane....

I bet you are one of those people who drive right past stationary traffic at a merge, rather than Q up like everyone else....
It is very poor lane discipline. It should come as no surprise to you to learn that in England, you drive on the left. In France for instance, it is against the highway code not to return to the inside lane. Of course that doesn't stop people from doing the exact opposite anyway.
Can anyone tell me why "inside lane" is English vernacular for "outside lane"?
Because the inside of the road is to your left, and the outside of the road is to the right. This is why when you move out of your lane to overtake in a regular road you move to the right. In Europe, the opposite is true.

Last edited:
Soldato
edit : also what about ppl who just [try and] barge onto the motorway on slip roads like its their god given right, ignoring the fact that they are obliged to give way :s

Almost as annoying as the people who don't change lanes to give others room to join the carriageway.

Transmission breaker
Don
It is very poor lane discipline. It should come as no surprise to you to learn that in England, you drive on the left. In France for instance, it is against the highway code not to return to the inside lane. Of course that doesn't stop people from doing the exact opposite anyway

If you read a bit further on, you will see this was in jest ;)

Back
Top Bottom