• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another 'is my 1080 ti running too hot? thread.

Associate
hi

after 10 years away from pc gaming I returned just over a month ago after purchasing a second-hand pc. Since purchasing I have rebuilt the pc in a shiny new nzxt h500i case, added a couple fans and tidied it up.

The software for the nzxt rgb lights and fans is kindly notifying me quite often that my Palit 1080 ti has reached 83 degrees or above. I've seen that temps on the 1080 ti do run high but I noticed the other day whilst playing Battlefield 5 for about half an hour a lot of hot air was being blown out the back of case and that some of background in game was dissapearing or flickering. I know from my old 9700/9800 pro days that this is not good.

I have thought about the kraken g12 route with 240 aio to go on it or a third part vga cooler but the h500i case is not the best for cooling.

Am I damaging the card or shortening its' lifespan running it at 83+ degrees?

Many thanks for replies.

Soldato
I've seen that temps on the 1080 ti do run high but I noticed the other day whilst playing Battlefield 5 for about half an hour a lot of hot air was being blown out the back of case and that some of background in game was dissapearing or flickering.

Am I damaging the card or shortening its' lifespan running it at 83+ degrees?

Pretty much BFV in general to be honest :p

83c is a little hot, hotter than i'd personally like in terms of noise but within spec for the card.

Enough airflow in/out the case? Be good to check internal case temperatures under load.

You can always try some new quality thermal paste. Undervolt the card perhaps which can make a big difference.

Associate
My Palit is a hot card, peaks at around 74c at default voltage/fan curve in hot weather, and that's in an Antec HAF 932 with a 230mm fan blowing directly on it! 83c sounds right for a more restricted airflow case like the H500i. I personally wouldn't like to breach 80c (as I game using a headset I tend to up the fan speed to maintain 70c) but it shouldn't harm the card/significantly shorten it's lifespan.

Soldato
  • New paste (and clean heatsink of dust thoroughly).
  • New thermal pads (good practice when opening up a GPU with a few years on it - the old pads can be squashed enough that they don't make proper contact anymore when you re-assemble - also have to find the right pad thickness for your card).
  • Fan mod (using two good regular 25mm thick 120mm fans in place of the little stock fans, and a GPU PWM cable).
  • Undervolt (Afterburner).
  • Fan profile (Afterburner).

You can get temps to around 60-65C while still getting decent performance.

Or do nothing at all except set a temperature limit with Afterburner and just lose a bit of performance but feel better about the temps.

Soldato
The temp curve is set to limit damage but I personally wouldn't want to run that hot but I expect it would still run for years like it.

Like many modern cases especially tower style your GPU is sitting in a hot spot where air flow is restricted. Might even be worse if you vertically mount it as it'll be near the glass side but would look good :)

I'm using a HAF XB EVO which is classed as a LAN party case but basically it's a 2 layer desktop case so the motherboard is horizontal and the GPU vertical but directly exposed to the top of the case. The Asus triple fan 1080Ti has plenty of space to vent air and even in the recent 30 DegC ambient temps was running at 67 DegC max.

Looks like you need to feed air low in the front of the case and even go as far as mounting a fan on the rear to draw air out the vented slot covers. Can the PSU be flipped so it draws heat out from under the GPU? Of course that will make the PSU run hotter but it may not be that bad.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for replies and good advice. Danny75 - I have considered taking the card apart and cleaning it but I do worry that I might accidentally damage the card in doing so. Is there a way of finding out what thickness I need the thermal pads or can i just go for a medium?

Shall have to check this afterburner app and take a look.

I know the case size and setup is making the situation worse and the card being below the cpu cooler and above the psu does not help. Unfortunately placing two fans at the front of the case supposedly blowing cool air onto the gfx card has made zero difference to temps.

Shall attempt to 'man up' in next couple weeks and take card apart, clean, redo paste plus put new thermal pads on (the card not me).

Thanks.

Soldato
Is there a way of finding out what thickness I need the thermal pads or can i just go for a medium?

Got to do some scouting, maybe email Palit too. If you go for medium (typically 1.0mm) and it requires 1.5 or rarer 2.0 it just won't make any contact obviously.

Which model is it? http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapc.php?mid=2&subid=282&lang=en&chip=GTX 1080 Ti

I've had a look at reviews of the GameRock Premium and the Super JetStream with disassembly pics, and eyeballing it those look to be using at least 1.5mm.

Associate
OP
Have been playing around a bit with the MSI afterburner and believe I have improved things a bit with changing fan % presets to Temp increases. At moment in my hot attic room my i7-8700 (non k) cpu at 4.4ghz is at 42 degrees and my 1080ti is at 28 degrees (both idle).
https://ibb.co/ZMRXzR0

Link to pic of my Palit card.
a>

Soldato
No your temperature is actually expected. As per your above post pic, its a blower style cooler which will pretty much target and stick to 83 degrees or there about and adjust the boost clock speed accordingly to remain within that envelope with a half demanding game is being played. This is pretty typical behaviour of Blower style coolers as they will usually sit at the limit. All 3 of my 1080Ti Founder Editions (and all my FE's that were blower to that), prior to waterblock's behave exactly the same. You mention hot air out the back of your case, that is normal and actually expected behaviour of the card. Blower style coolers by design will take in air from the case and expel it out the rear of the case.

You can pull it apart however and repaste things and what have you, but you will not see a reduction in temps really (unless the paste job is really bad or something fundamentally wrong with how the card is mounted), what you may see is the card sitting at 83 degrees again but maby be a boost step or so higher.

If you want to see a reduction in temps, either A) increase the fan speed (which it sounds like you did), B) lower the power target which reduced clock speed or C) lower the temp target in MSI AB which once again will have the same effect of lowering the clock speed or D) add on an AIO I suppose. Sitting at 83 degrees in itself is not an issue however and I would leave things as they are. Infact if you increase the fan speed without touching anything else (power target or temp target) you will see part of the headroom getting eaten up by a higher sustained boost clock usually.

Only comment I would add is in respect to the flickering your mentioned, that sounds odd, so would keep an eye on that and check any other demanding titles. But the temp aspect is normal behaviour for a blower out the box really.

Soldato
Have been playing around a bit with the MSI afterburner and believe I have improved things a bit with changing fan % presets to Temp increases. At moment in my hot attic room my i7-8700 (non k) cpu at 4.4ghz is at 42 degrees and my 1080ti is at 28 degrees (both idle).

a>

As Radox-0 just posted while I was typing - that's a blower model in which case the reported 83-ish degrees aren't bad.

Associate
OP
Thanks Radox-0 and Danny75; I have considered some different cooling for the GPU but shall leave for few weeks and see whether the increase in fan pressure will help.

May i ask though what overclock one might expect if put under an aio and whether you see a visible increase in fps after?

Soldato
Thanks Radox-0 and Danny75; I have considered some different cooling for the GPU but shall leave for few weeks and see whether the increase in fan pressure will help.

May i ask though what overclock one might expect if put under an aio and whether you see a visible increase in fps after?

You will usually be able to see a increase in performance as usually you will be able to maintain a higher clock and usually it will be more consistent. With Pascal a colder card can achieve higher steps in frequency, which are basically steps up or down in core frequency.

Now in terms of what you may be able to achieve it depends on silicon lottery, but a 1080Ti typically will overclock to around 2000 - 2100 Mhz when kept cool with some samples landing either side of that (so some under 2000 Mhz and some above 2100 Mhz). You need to look at the average clock speed your card currently sits at. I imagine you will be sitting around the 1750 - 1850 Mhz mark out the box. To an extent you may be able to look at the gains in performance for yourself. Ramp up the fan speed to 100%, increase the power target and clock speed and run some tests, it will be loud, but you should see an idea of the gains you can achieve.

This is a good thread here also showing some differences: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...iency-vs-plug-and-play-vs-brute-force.256695/ the FE model is around what your card is likely doing. The overclock model is a 1080Ti FTW at 2126 Mhz on the core and 12474 on the memory, so a very good sample, but gives an idea of the delta. I would not expect performance to be that high, more likely sitting in between the AIB clock and Overclock numbers on that graph as to what your GPU may be able to do under water.

Associate
OP
Well, it appears that I have at least improved on temperatures but at cost of noise levels which am ok about at moment. Changed fan power to temps in afterburner and played a bit of Star Wars Battlefront 2 and noticed as the gpu fan increased to high speed. When I exited the game though after about half an hour the temps were showing mid 60's. Am very happy with the improvement and would not of learnt about afterburner or what my expectations should be so thank you all for help and advice.

The last time I played around with volts and frequency increases was back in the 9800 pro days so am a little out of practice. For a two year old card the 1080 is doing well. The 1080 is what made me buy the pc in end.

i7 8700
Asus m/board
256gb m.2 ssd
1tb sata h/drive
16gb corsair ddr4
Palit 1080 GTX Ti
Asus 24" tn panel

Paid £650

Am using my old Hazro 24" which is only thing I managed to keep from last pc days which was 2009. Would like to try an save and get a 144hz monitor as feel the hazro although has a great picture holds the system back. Have got the pc itch now though; now have moved system from original case to a nice h500i and now thinking of an nzxt cpu aio to top it off but my heart wants me to do a custom loop. Must stop the continuous improvement game though as know it never ends.......

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Great deal there.

Research undervolting. I got away with lower volts at 2000mhz than stock and it ran about 10c cooler as a result (strix on a silent fan curve)

Soldato
I would want to get the temps down from in the 80s if that was mine,, I still have a r9 290 card and thats known as a hot card but temps are in the high 60s, low 70s while gaming.

Associate
I've got two 1080Ti. My partner's one is a Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme, hits about 70C under load. Mine is an iChiLL X3 Ultra that hits around 83c under full load. Hers boosts higher and stays cooler, I guess just a better cooler on it. I redid the thermal paste on mine but it's not really helped. Just runs hotter, I don't get any stability issues though. Both coolers are practically silent so I just don't user afterburner or I get OCD over the temp differences :p

Soldato

a>

The only way to get the temps down is to install something like a Alphacool Eiswolf 120 GPX Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX TITAN X Pascal / 1080 Ti

I have one on my Titan X pascal.
It's never gone higher than 54C in this hot weather.
Or you could go the cheaper way with this

Back
Top Bottom