1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Pipeline card update

Discussion in 'Motors' started by wolseley, 2 Aug 2006.

1. wolseley

Gangster

At last! An update on the Pipeline card. :eek:

Short version: Still nothing to report.

Original Version:

2. Nathan

Mobster

So, its ture. They are selling other products/services to the huge potenial customer base they have gathered. What an absolute pillock. Im taking my name off the mailing list.

3. JRS

Capodecina

Yes, because they really are forcing to to buy that stuff, and absolutely bombarding you with spam e-mails.....

4. The Running Man

Caporegime

lol of course it was always a scam - as i said originally, if a petrol outlet wanted more customers, drop the price by a pence or two, why bother with an elaborate card based system designed by a 3rd party when it is simply not necessary.

the whole concept never made sense, and tbh it was such a clear scam to get your email addrss/build a database i cant believe how many folk signed up!

5. JRS

Capodecina

If it was a scam to get e-mail addresses, then how come I haven't been inundated with a truckload of spam, product adverts, etc?

It's either a particularly useless scam, or it actually isn't a scam. Either way, I lost absolutely nothing by sticking my e-mail addy in did I? :)

6. The Running Man

Caporegime

not yet, although i believe you have recieved some product "deals"? What have you gained from this?

7. Nathan

Mobster

Its blatant they are never going to get this petrol thing rolling now though. No, we dont get spam, we just get "update" emails with details of "great savings". No thanks.

8. Fusion

Capodecina

Yeah, I knew things had gone to pot when the last update contained details of an offer on sat nav.

9. Oakesy2001uk

Mobster

So what if someone has a good idea, I hope it comes off, If they were trying to spam us then they would have done by now!!!
    They even now have a seperate other offers page that has 2 offers on it! shock horror,so now the mailing list just gets the updates. You can take yourself off it at any time, I cant see a scam!

10. mattpc

Mobster

Who cares, give the guy a break! If he pulls it off you will all be eating humble pie. These things don't happen overnight and if you are that bothered just take your name off as has already been suggested.

11. The Running Man

Caporegime

why? wouldnt it make sense to build up as big and trusting database as possible before selling/spamming them? otherwise bad feedback will reduce the total headcount of the database and thus the amount he could sell it for?

12. Confused

Sgarrista

If he wanted to spam, he could buy thousands of email addresses for pence.

So far I've had one email stating that they're offering a sat-nav system. I ignored it. Other than that, the updates have given some information as to what is going on. As is said, you can remove yourself from the mailing list at any time. If you then continue to get things, then you have reason to complain.

For the sake of a single email every month or two, is it really that big of a deal?

13. The Running Man

Caporegime

if its not a big deal, why not just withold your email until there is a service worth signing up for and then joining?

14. Confused

Sgarrista

Because I haven't got any crap coming through that email account (I set up individual email accounts on my server for each company/service I sign up for, so I know if they sell/give out my email address, as that address will only be given to that individual company, and no others) and i get an update to my mailbox as/when anything happens, rather than having to continually check the website or other places for any information.

As soon as something other than those updates comes through that account, I'll be the first to get in touch with them and find out exactly what's going on.

15. stoofa

Capodecina

I mean...I have received just so much Spam since signing up to his site...oh wait a second, no I haven't - silly me.

The fact he hasn't managed to roll-out a card already getting us all 10p per litre off at the pumps means two things:
    1. It is a scam to get lots of e-mail addresses and then not spamming them
    2. It was obviously never going to work anyway, even though the theory is sound and there is no reason why it can't.

Just look at his name I mean come on - it has to be a scam.

*This message bought to you by the "usual suspects" and posted before anybody else gets the chance.*

16. Nathan

Mobster

How can he buy "thousands of emails for pence"? He now has hundreds of thousands of motorists details, it is a lot more favourable for the companies who are going to pay him to advertise to us all. I was looking forward to this too :/

17. Confused

Sgarrista

This arguement comes up EVERY SINGLE TIME an email is sent out - and it's the same people who start it off.

Do they have your email address? Have you received any emails other than the infrequent updates? Has anyone forced you to buy anything? Have you removed yourself from the listing? They have sent out a *single* email about a *single* product in the last year or so since this first came out.

The Unsubscribe link is very obvious - I suggest you follow it if you don't want them to have your details - if you continue to receive updates after you've done that, then you can start complaining about it.

18. lordrobs

Capodecina

Can I do a quick summary of the thread so far/ will only ever be-

**repeat the above a few times**

To be completely honest, if you've signed up you'll get the updates, if you haven't you don't need to know. Therefore as all these threads do is cause arguments anyway I don't really see the need/point of them.

19. The Running Man

Caporegime

well thats not strictly true. i would like this card to happen, and would be delighted to see a news refresh on here saying that it has happened etc.

but i dont see the economic sense to it above and beyond any kind of storecard that shell/etc already offer? why would they drop the price by 10p for these customers on a 3rd party card and not off their own loyalty cards? i am sure they would make just as big a headlines, but with credability and win custom that way? why do they need mr scammel?

20. Jet

Mobster

Errr, because there wouldn't be a service unless people give their details :confused:

I bet if it does get off the ground the sceptics will be signing up :rolleyes: