Another spec me thread! - £2k

Permabanned
Unless it is a particularly loved and cherished e36 that you come to buy (which will usually mean that they are higher priced), then it will most likely need a whole host of work doing to it in order to make it both reliable and to bring back the vibrancy of the handling/chassis.

Anyone kidding themselves that a £2k e36 will be anything other than somewhere to spend more money month by month has evidently never owned one or seriously researched one.

That said, I'd still have one, but that is because a) I love how they look b)how they drive, and c) how much I know about them. I'm also handy with a socket set and could pull apart most of an e36 and rebuild it over the course of a long weekend.

As I said, depending on model and year you could easily get a well kept car for that money. It all depends on what went with the previous owner as well.

I don't particularly agree with your anyone kidding themself about a 2k e36, as you said it depends on the owner. And price comes down to engine size and year (and condition obviously).

Soldato
Galant? Aren't those cars a bit barge like in terms of the way they drive?

You won't find any problem free E36s for this money. They're all going to need some work or some sort, so for a £2k budget, don't bother. Unless of course, you find one with tonnes of history, receipts and evidence that the owner(s) have spared no expense on it. Then again, you could probably have as much chance of winning this Friday's EuroMillions... ;)

Soldato
OP
Galant? Aren't those cars a bit barge like in terms of the way they drive?

You won't find any problem free E36s for this money. They're all going to need some work or some sort, so for a £2k budget, don't bother. Unless of course, you find one with tonnes of history, receipts and evidence that the owner(s) have spared no expense on it. Then again, you could probably have as much chance of winning this Friday's EuroMillions... ;)

This is pretty much what I was thinking, hence considering some of the cheaper alternatives - e.g. the hatchbacks.

Still keeping an eye on what's kicking around of course ;)

Soldato
Just read that your £2k budget has to include insurance, so that definitely rules out any E36s.

Have a look at PH's shed of the week to get some ideas:

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=162&i=20597

If you're not bothered by the lack of space, a Honda Prelude might not be a bad bet. Just find a later / lower mileage car appropriate to your budget / insurance costs. The Rover 75 V6 looks like a lot of car for the money. Not sure how reliable they are though - probably a bit iffy.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I wouldnt buy a 2k 328i of any kind. It will break. a lot.

Plus insurance is massive, same with honda vtecs.

I would suggest a passat but you need around 3k ideally.

offtopic : FOX, were you anywhere near Stonehouse in plym yesturday evening, at around 11pm ?

Associate
Assuming you're not set on a Galant now, you thought about a Seat Toledo?
EDIT: I linked one on autotrader but OcUK blocks tiny url? :rolleyes: There's one at 2.1k on there anyway.

Comfortable, loads of toys for the money and a bit of poke too.
Make sure you get the 170PS engine if possible.

Soldato
Just use the AT link - it doesnt display the whole URL anyway if its long :)

Toledo is a good idea although the V5 170 is a bit overkill especially for someone with 0 NCB - a standard 1.8 or TDI will be comparable to, if not better than the 2.0 galant

Associate
Unless it is a particularly loved and cherished e36 that you come to buy (which will usually mean that they are higher priced), then it will most likely need a whole host of work doing to it in order to make it both reliable and to bring back the vibrancy of the handling/chassis.

Anyone kidding themselves that a £2k e36 will be anything other than somewhere to spend more money month by month has evidently never owned one or seriously researched one.

That said, I'd still have one, but that is because a) I love how they look b)how they drive, and c) how much I know about them. I'm also handy with a socket set and could pull apart most of an e36 and rebuild it over the course of a long weekend.

I bought a 90k 328sport in feb, fsh tidy example (so i thought) since feb i have.

2 new tyres (cant really be avoided)
new bushes throughout (were knackered, went for poly ones)
new handbrake shoes, cables, clips and springs.
2 replacement hubs and arms
fan delete as the viscous broke
new rad as it exploded when the viscous broke
numerous sensors
new rear pads and sensor
2 new abs sensors
2 drive shafts

Now its at a point where its acceptable apart from the bit of rust on the rear arches.

Now in all honesty how much is that now worth with the god know how much i spent on it?

but still, i love it:)

Edit, had mot other day, needs 2 new rear tyres again as the person who lowered the car didnt fix the camber.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just been to look at that silver one, seems solid all round, exterior is in great condition, pretty much flawless other than the few light scratches to be expected from a 10 year old car. Interior likewise, also looks much better in the flesh than in those pics! Gave it a bit of a spin, lovely and smooth, nothing I could notice wrong with it, everything tested and working! The only problem I had was that the indicator stalk is on the right, confused the hell out of me to start with =P

Absolutely loved it, looking forward to picking it up on Friday!

Soldato
OP
Woo, picked it up yesterday, and work decided to send me straight off to Gloucester, so a nice hours drive up the motorway =P

What can I say, it's the easiest and most comfortable car I've driven, took me a few mins of fiddling to get used to the cruise control, but after that pretty much sitting back and enjoying the ride!

First project is a new stereo and speakers (the ones in there are dire!)

Anyway, have some shinys!:

car4b.jpg

car1xv.jpg

car2.jpg

car3o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom