Antec P180 Owners Thread

Soldato
rel said:
That graphics card is pretty much a must due to the system being aimed at performance gaming. I've not built a PC in around 3 years and still, my knowledge of "hands on" practical experience is limited and thus modding graphics cards/fans/cases is something I'm a little worried about. There's a lot of expensive components that I'm purchasing and without losing quality I'd like them to come together relatively easy. Any specific names of fans in mind for the SI-120?

Thanks for your help,

I do understand that you need that card and that's fine, I'm the same. The main problem you are going to have is the graphics card will be the nosiest thing in your rig, almost without a doubt. It makes many of the other changes quite pointless; however I do understand what you are saying. You don't really want to be messing about with a graphics card that is going to cost a lot of money to replace, along with the fact you've not had much hands on experience.

I'm in a similar boat myself, with a 7800GT OC, I'm going to get a second Zalman VF700-Cu and install that. I've had quite a few of them and they are (in my experience) the best aftermarket graphics card cooler you buy. I'm not going enjoy installing it, but I will bite the bullet and do it, for the sake of quietness.

Like I say, the choice of fan for your SI-120 is going to make little difference noise wise. However it is of course a good idea to get something decent to cool the process. There is the problem with connectors for this though, some having 4 pin which is no good if you want to connect it to a fanmate, most fan controllers or the motherboard. If you were going to get a Nexus anyways just get 1 rather than two, try it on the processor and see how it performs.

Do you use msn messenger? If you do drop me an e-mail with your sign in e-mail address and I can help you some more without bogging down this thread. :)

Soldato
mrochester said:
I'd seriously consider the Scythe Ninja. It is easily the best heatsink on the market now. Just look at these figures compared to the XP-120. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article285-page5.html

I have to admit those results look good, however I'm still happy I chose the SI-120 over it. The SI-120 is of course an updated XP-120, with slightly better performance and compatibility. The SI-120 is also a whole lot lighter and slightly easier to install. I'm also sure that other reviews of the Ninja don't have results that good, it is of course a contender though. I suggest reading a few more reviews on the Scythe Ninja and Thermalright SI-120 before making a purchase.

Soldato
TBH, I think SPCR is about as reliable as you can get with results like these. The Ninja is specifically designed for minimal airflow because of it's widely spaced fins (and can be passively cooled). The Theralright would probably need at least some airflow to keep the CPU cool.

Soldato
mrochester said:
TBH, I think SPCR is about as reliable as you can get with results like these. The Ninja is specifically designed for minimal airflow because of it's widely spaced fins (and can be passively cooled). The Theralright would probably need at least some airflow to keep the CPU cool.

I partly agree that SPCR is a good site with reliable results, but it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion or two.

The Thermalright works well with minimal airflow as well, the reviews and my experience shows that. Like the Ninja however it does have problems running passive, especially with the newer processors. But that's to be expected.

Soldato
I prefer the passive ninja beasts logic, it allows u to attach the fan on the side and blow out any hot nasty air to the outside of the case, or you can do what SPCR did and thats just use the Ninja to passive cool your cpu and one silent 120mm fan to vent out any hot air anything inside your case.... Thats the combo they tried on in there own Antec P180 review.

But the thermal is still good perhaps better, it has the advantage of blowing consistant air around the mainboard keeping it cool...
but for silent lovers Ninja+orange nexus 120mm would do it.

Associate
I'm very pleased with mine apart from the front door is buckled and flexing it don't realy fix it and the top fan doesn't start spinning by itself on the lowest speed setting - it needs a nudge to get it going.

On the whole, I'm extreemely happy with the noise level and cooling performance. Much better than my old HTPC case :D

......Now to build a pentium M into the HTPC box so it needs very little cooling

Associate
I am going be getting this case soon and i was wondering if the Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W would reach to the DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT power connection.

Associate
My new hobby...

My new hobby appears to be returning Antec PSU's

Just got my third NEO HE 550, and a blue flash later, it's only giving 4.1V on the 5V.hum ho.

Anyway, Overclockers have been good about all my previous attempts at a return, but I'm looking for something different; 3 blown Antecs just isn't filling me with confidence.

Right now the system only has 1 HDD and a 9700 Pro in it, along with a bog standard 2800XP.

The point of buying a bigger case and PSU was for an upgrade next year, so the PSU should really be around the 500W mark.

Does anybody have any recommendations for PSU's around 500W, sub £100 that fit nicely into the P180?

Associate
the 24 pin would'nt get close enough to fit properly i had to buy a 24 pin extension cable (does anyone think the extension cable could cause problems ?? +12 volt line is only showing 11.78 on a 600 watt seasonic psu brand new and i have VERY little to power in this pc so it's extreme overkill on the psu.)

it's about 1-2 inch's too short without the extension.

Last edited:
Associate
Actually you can fit the 24 pin cable into the motherboard i did it, but it's a damned tight stretch and you cant route the cable nicely at all.

Associate
sorry if this is a repeated question - i read through this entire post the other day and now i can't remember what i've seen.

i've just become the proud owner of the BLACK antec p180. all looks really smart inside (not actually put anying in it yet) but i'm a little troubled by the front door panel.

okay, it's flimsy and could probably do with replacing with something else (which i may try) but at the moment it doesn't appear to shut tight nor does it appear to have the 'double hinge' i read about that allows the door to fold back against the case.

am i missing something with the door panel?

do the magnets on the door only work when there is a current running through the case ???????????

did i imagine the 'double hinge' mechanism - i thought i saw it mentioned on antec's website.

also, has anyone modified the front door panel yet? say, replaced it with an aluminium or perspex or glass one?

i hope i'm just being dumb about the 'double hinge' and i just can't work it out.

thanks all.

Soldato
You normally have to fiddle with the left hand side to 'unlock' the double hinge as it were. There are two notches on the left hand side that fit into the door frame at the top and bottom. You have to disengage these to make the door swing right back. The door not shutting tight is perfectly normal for the P180 so there's no need to worrry about that.

Associate
If u use the key to lock the door that will hold the door in place and hopefully after a night or two the door magnets will be able to connect.
I had the same problem with my P180 and locking the door helped a lot.

Associate
ah right, thanks mrochester and happyjoe. glad to hear the door panel is as should be.

i could see that there were a couple of pegs or notches or something at the top and bottom of the hinge but didn't want to start forcing anything and result in braking it.

i didn't realise i could lock the door either - duh, i saw the lock but didn't put two and two together.

i'll see how things go from here.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom