Anthony Nolan Register

Soldato
So,

Got my confirmation email today that I'm on the register & able to donate,

Anthony Nolan is a UK charity that focuses on leukaemia and Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. It manages and recruits donors to one of the three bone marrow registers in the United Kingdom; the other registries are the British Bone Marrow Registry run by the National Blood Service and the Welsh Bone Marrow Donor Registry run by the Welsh Blood Service. It also carries out research to help make bone marrow transplants more effective.

As men between the ages of 20/30 are the most suitable for donation I thought posting a link on here to encourage a few others to join up would be my good deed for the day.

http://www.anthonynolan.org/What-yo...ication.aspx?gclid=CP7R8b3IwK8CFQ1lfAod8W4Fww

Go on, do something useful today.

More details from the website below.

Anthony Nolan saves the lives of people with blood cancer. Every day,
we match remarkable donors willing to donate their blood stem cells
to people who desperately need lifesaving transplants.

More of a vodka tonic than an isotonic kinda guy?
More a ready meal than a wholemeal kinda guy?
You’re fitter than you think.

You don't have to be Men's Health magazine cover material to be fit to save a life.

As long as you’re a bloke aged 18–30 and in at least fairly decent nick, you’re within spitting distance of saving a life.

Last edited:
Soldato
Kudos for signing up and highlighting the need for registered donors.

I could use the excuse I'm well out of that age bracket or other spurious reasons...but to be honest, I don't think I could go through that procedure voluntarily :(

I am a fully registered organ donor and carry a card, that is just my small contibution.

Soldato
OP
Kudos for signing up and highlighting the need for registered donors.

I could use the excuse I'm well out of that age bracket or other spurious reasons...but to be honest, I don't think I could go through that procedure voluntarily :(

I am a fully registered organ donor and carry a card, that is just my small contibution.
To be fair, it seems they are in dire need of young men, so I wound't feel that bad if you are out of the age bracket.

Also being on the organ donor register is a massive plus. :cool:

The main thing is that while young men make up most of the donations, they are by far the smallest group on the list (5% or something silly overall) - also most of the list are women (who are not that good for donations either).

Thought on a computer forum 20 odd something men would be aplenty.

Soldato
OP
Isn't the donation procedure quite a traumatic experience? :/
Well,

Two types.

Bone marrow donation – donating stem cells taken from bone marrow in the pelvis

What happens?

You’ll come to a hospital in London where you’ll spend two nights. You’ll be given a general anaesthetic and doctors will take some of your bone marrow from your pelvis using a needle and syringe. You’ll probably
experience tiredness and a little bruising afterwards but this generally passes after about a week.

How will you feel afterwards?

Our donors often tell us that the side effects last a few days, but the pride at having helped save a life stays with them forever. We will reimburse all reasonable out-of-pocket expenses including paying for and arranging all travel and accommodation requirements.

Peripheral blood stem cell collection – donating through a vein in your arm

What happens?

A nurse will come to your home or office to give you injections over three days. These injections help your body produce and release stem cells into your blood. You’ll then come to a hospital in London to make the donation but you won’t need an overnight hospital stay or a general anaesthetic. Your blood is taken through a tiny tube in your arm, and the cells are donated by passing the blood through a machine. Side effects can include flu-like symptoms and aching but they’re usually mild and last just a couple of days.

After donating

What happens to the stem cells once they’ve been donated?

It’s crucial we get your stem cells to the patient as soon as possible. Taken by personal courier to the patient’s transplant centre, your healthy donor marrow or stem cells are introduced into the patient’s bloodstream in a similar way to a transfusion. If the new bone marrow takes or ‘engrafts’ well, the patient begins producing normal healthy blood cells and has a chance at recovery.

Can I find out what’s happened to the patient?

Following the donation, you can receive updates on your patient’s progress. After a two year confidentiality period, and subject to a request from the patient, some donors and patients meet. This tends to be rare so for some of you, the knowledge that you’ve helped saved someone’s life will be reward enough.

Soldato
Well done on registering - it's brave and admirable.

I give blood roughly every 3 months but I'm just too selfish to undertake anything that would require a hospital visit - I hate the places! :(

So you're now on a 'waiting list' so to speak?

Soldato
OP
Well done on registering - it's brave and admirable.

I give blood roughly every 3 months but I'm just too selfish to undertake anything that would require a hospital visit - I hate the places! :(

So you're now on a 'waiting list' so to speak?
Well, if they find a match you get called out - but apparently it doesn't happen that often at all - but yeah, on a waiting list.

To be fair, giving blood often is already quite a big sacrifice above what most are willing, so I wound't worry about it ^.

I'm pretty close to London so it's not the biggest problem, yeah hospitals suck - never been for myself but visiting family has put me off for a lifetime!.

Soldato
Giving blood takes less than an hour including waiting & driving to/from the venue (which is in a local hall rather than a medical venue).

It doesn't hurt whatsoever and provides you with both tea and penguins/club biscuits which provide a sense of nostalgia you'd otherwise have to pay for ;)

Permabanned
Unfortunately I am too old to be eligible.....Also as I cannot give blood I doubt I could give bone marrow either even if I did fit the age criteria.

Sorry.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Been registered for a number of years now - just remember to update your address with them when you move.

Back
Top Bottom