Anthony Nolan Register

Associate
I've been on the bone marrow list for years but never had a call for that. Been donating blood steadily too - I've done roughly 35 pints of O- so far.

Bit of a personal one is a guy I work with was diagnosed with leukaemia last year but he's clear now and back in work. Please to those of you who can sign up, do so. It saves lives and it hits random families.

FluffySheep

Associate
Already on the list - I'm mixed race and there's a huge shortage, but my mix is rare thus not sure I'll ever get the call. My husband had AML, he had 2 matches but thankfully we didn't require a transplant.

Amazing service and this does save lives when there's no other option.

Soldato
Has anyone been through the donation process before?

Yes, but not through the process described above as it was for a family member. If you want to know anything specific then fire away but they'll cover most things I would wager that you could ever want to ask.

If you are worried about how you will feel then I would say yes it was uncomfortable but I wouldn't say it hurt. I did ache for a good fortnight afterwards and didn't feel back to 100% for another week or so after. But I suspect I was a bit older than you when I had it done. I would recommend that you have someone with you though and do stock up on some reading material as you will be a bit more inactive than usual waiting and then being a bit sore as I said. But seriously don't worry - people are quite friendly when the procedure is being done and the fact you are doing it for a purpose makes it quite tolerable. But yes stock up on some reading material in my experience there is some waiting at times!

Don
Just been contacted by Anthony Nolan for a further blood sample. Been on the register for at least 15 years.

Anyone else been retested?

I’m being sent a blood test kit in the post and need to organise a local GP/nurse to take the sample before returning it back in the post.

Caporegime
Just been contacted by Anthony Nolan for a further blood sample. Been on the register for at least 15 years.

Anyone else been retested?

I’m being sent a blood test kit in the post and need to organise a local GP/nurse to take the sample before returning it back in the post.

How old are you? The OP states 20-30 so I'm over it by a few years but if I can help save a life then sign me up :)

Don
How old are you? The OP states 20-30 so I'm over it by a few years but if I can help save a life then sign me up :)
I’m 40, I asked them about this when I returned their call today as I thought you needed to be under 30 to donate as well, it’s restricted to 16 - 30 to get on the register, but once on you can donate all the way up to 60.

Caporegime
I’m 40, I asked them about this when I returned their call today as I thought you needed to be under 30 to donate as well, it’s restricted to 16 - 30 to get on the register, but once on you can donate all the way up to 60.

If you're "too old" for Anthony Nolan, you can sign up for the DKMS bone marrow register. IIRC it all goes on the same list anyway.

https://www.dkms.org.uk/en/register-now

I tried to sign up for AN but was too old at over 40, so signed up to DKMS no problem.

Thanks, I'll have a look :)

Caporegime
After nearly a decade, I may have been matched. Oddly enough, does joining Anthony Nolan register you to the British Bone Marrow Registry (BBMR)? As I had a similar email on the same day from them but have no recollection of ever joining them.

The Mrs is already having kittens in case I have to give bone marrow rather than PBSCs. Just waiting for the blood test kit now.

Soldato
Registered.

Can’t remember if I registered for stem cell donation when I gave blood years ago so thought I’d register on here.

I think the operation to donate from your pelvis can be a bit tender, but what’s a bit of pain when you could potentially save someone’s a life, or someone’s mum/dad/son/daughter etc.

These things should be opt out these days to be honest!

Associate
https://www.anthonynolan.org/news/2...ledge-meet-stem-cell-donor-who-saved-her-lifehttps://www.anthonynolan.org/news/2...ledge-meet-stem-cell-donor-who-saved-her-life

This my mate who I signed up to the register when I used to volunteer for Anthony Nolan in university.

He had to have it taken from his pelvis under sedation, he said it was no bother just lots of good dreams and a bit sore after, and everyone made him feel like a hero (quite rightly)

He still meets up with the girl he donated for a catch up every now and again

Caporegime
You can meet and learn about the person you donate to? I assumed you couldn't for GDPR etc.

Ah a unique case in that link perhaps.

Don
After nearly a decade, I may have been matched. Oddly enough, does joining Anthony Nolan register you to the British Bone Marrow Registry (BBMR)? As I had a similar email on the same day from them but have no recollection of ever joining them.
Anthony Nolan manage both the separate British and I think the Welsh registers as well as their own.

Caporegime
Anthony Nolan manage both the separate British and I think the Welsh registers as well as their own.

Thanks, yeah the BBMR have now taken me off as I need only be on one. Blood kit coming soon, least I can expedite by getting it drawn at work rather than an appointment in X weeks at the GP.

Don
Thanks, yeah the BBMR have now taken me off as I need only be on one. Blood kit coming soon, least I can expedite by getting it drawn at work rather than an appointment in X weeks at the GP.
I would be interested to see what you get, my 1st sample 15 years ago was only a single vial of blood, this time it was 5 of the bloody things. The nurse said after the fifth one the colour had completely drained from my face :o .

Caporegime
I would be interested to see what you get, my 1st sample 15 years ago was only a single vial of blood, this time it was 5 of the bloody things. The nurse said after the fifth one the colour had completely drained from my face :o .

One of the ladies who will draw my blood at work did mention they are endless vacutainers :p - though I didn't consider how much in total it will be. Must be less then I give for blood donation though (~pint). Will report back.

Haha I am now getting bone marrow junk mail - a day after this all started.

Back
Top Bottom