Any actual gaming laptops that don't overheat?

Associate
Hi all,
I am on the search for a new laptop after my old one fell victim to a burst milk carton...
I think I have been trying to extensively do my research for quite a while now, but until very recently, that has been on various review sites and YouTube channels, many of which I am now suspicious of following a lot of negative reviews of laptops that had beaming reviews. I guess my first question is, can you actually recommend trustworthy review sites?

Primarily I'm after a good laptop that can actually control heat. I want it to last as long as possible because I don't have the money for constant upgrades. With a budget of around a grand and 1400 at a real push on finance, I was after something with a 1060 and an i7, and 16gb of ram. I was also after a good screen and preferably 17 inch. I thought I was there with one of the Asus Rogs or MSI GE models, but I have seen so many complaints of overheating that I am now hideously suspicious.I read also that Alienware has similar problems as the above mentioned.

The Dell Inspiron 7567 with the IPS screen sounded appealing simply because it's said to have excellent thermal control, although I would have preferred a 1060 and 17inch screen- I notice that the newer 7577 fulfils one of those criteria!

Lastly, my only other seriously considered option so far has been the hp Omen with 120hz IPS screen, although I have no idea of its ability to control temperature. I was also put off when I saw the 15inch version today in Pc world because of its frankly rubbish screen. This I hear is vastly improved upon in the 120hz IPS version however.

Really, I guess I am asking if there is actually a laptop out there that doesn't have temperature issues within my budget and preferably with a 17 inch screen?

Thank you for your time!

Associate
I dont think there is a perfect gaming laptop without heat issues yet, end users wants the power, they want it nice and slim and small and without heat issues, these 3 things dont work together in laptops unless they make them huge or with external cooling tanks such as water cooling units xD. I mean look at the desktop versions of these graphic cards and yet temperatures are still high with air cooling....

Soldato
They will also overheat with time as dust collects inside choking airflow and insulating. Cleaning out the trapped dust requires dismantling the laptop.

Associate
OP
Well it did seem to be too good to be true!
In which case, what measures are taken by those using gaming laptops to try and curb some of these issues? I've heard of cooling units beneath and changes to the bios.
I wonder if perhaps getting a larger laptop with a lower powered gpu might help?

I should say that my last laptop had an nvidia 740m... Everything for me is a massive step up, but I guess I wanted something a little beefier to deal with any games that might demand it. Not at the cost of overheating though

Caporegime
From my own research, the HP Omen does keep temps lower - by keeping the fans running more often and more loudly. I have got my decision down to two now - either the HP Omen with the 1060 and 120Hz Gsync screen or the almost equivalent Dell Inspiron 7577. But maybe going for the 1050Ti Dell and an X1X to complement it.

Associate
OP
Hi ic1, thanks for the info. What is X1X?
I was actually looking for a 1050 ti version of the Omen 17 with the 120hz IPS screen on the HP site but it doesn't seem to be an option on their site unless with the 1060. I can't say I quite understand the layout of the website though so perhaps there is a customisation area?

Caporegime
Hi ic1, thanks for the info. What is X1X?
I was actually looking for a 1050 ti version of the Omen 17 with the 120hz IPS screen on the HP site but it doesn't seem to be an option on their site unless with the 1060. I can't say I quite understand the layout of the website though so perhaps there is a customisation area?

There is a 1050Ti Omen with a 120Hz screen but I think it's only 15". Us poor UK folk can't alter the configurations like they can in America. We have to have what we are given. e.g. I would prefer to double the SSD to 512GB and get rid of the HDD.

X1X = Xbox One X.

Soldato
You could say that about desktops though...

You can but getting access to a desktop is not much more than loosening two screws to open one side of the large box.

To do anything with a laptop you generally need to remove dozens of screws, pry apart clipped parts and disconnect tightly packed components. Likely needs the manual, or better, a youtube video to know exactly what order to do this in.

Associate
I have an Alienware 17 R4. It's a i7 6820k, GTX1080 machine. This model occasionally suffers from thermal throttling, but mine never has. I found raising the laptop up on a book, and now a cheap laptop stand lowered the temps a lot. When gaming, the CPU sits at 75C and the GPU at 65-70C.

Its a fantastic gaming machine, and runs my Oculus with ease. It is heavy though - portable, but you wouldn't want to carry it around with you all day. It's got two relatively large fans that can ramp up to 'jet engine' mode to keep cool when gaming. Normal desktop stuff, it sits at about 45C.

If you hunt around on the Dell Outlet, you won't pay *much* more than your budget. A GTX1070 machine should be available within price limits.

Associate
OP
There is a 1050Ti Omen with a 120Hz screen but I think it's only 15". Us poor UK folk can't alter the configurations like they can in America. We have to have what we are given. e.g. I would prefer to double the SSD to 512GB and get rid of the HDD.

Damn! Well I'll try my luck with them. I'm thinking maybe just play it safe and go for a lower spec graphics card with hopefully less heat issues. Maybe if I ring up they can do something.

If you hunt around on the Dell Outlet, you won't pay *much* more than your budget. A GTX1070 machine should be available within price limits.

Thank you for the advice. I looked into them but they were certainly pricey. Are you in the UK though? Everything I've seen is about 100 or more over the price in dollars! I started seeing laptops quoted at 1000 bucks and thought 'great, should be about 800 quid' only to find it was 1100 pounds! Brexit and all the rest are taking a bite.

Back
Top Bottom