Any asthma sufferers

Soldato
I grew up with asthma and by my teens i grew out of it but im starting to get breathless again. I keep fit by going to the gym three days aweek swim sometimes and i can do an hour of cardiovascular workouts quite happyly. I cant work out why my asthma is coming back ive been to the doctors and hes given me the old blue inhaler (ventolin)) which i take now at night.Anyone else suffer with asthma or think its coming back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hope this isn't going to happen to me. I had it. Still have the blue thing, but I've never had an attack, just used to wheeze pretty badly. Never happens now :) I'm 16 so time will tell :)

Soldato
OP
georges said:
Hope this isn't going to happen to me. I had it. Still have the blue thing, but I've never had an attack, just used to wheeze pretty badly. Never happens now :) I'm 16 so time will tell :)
Ive only ever had one really bad asthma attack when i was about 11 i burst all the blood vessels in my throat not a nice experience. :(

Suspended
You dont happen to suffer with hayfever do you?

I had asthma as a kid, never used the inhaler as it actually made me worse and more dependant on it. Exercise got me through it.

Im now 24 and although i dont exercise anywhere near enough its rare i get an asthma symptoms. That is, until hayfaver season.

Its usually later in the evening when i start wheezing, if i manage to fall to sleep then i wake up choking and coughing. I really do struggle for breath!

Try some allergy tablets and see if it helps.

Soldato
^TANK^ said:
I grew up with asthma and by my teens i grew out of it but im starting to get breathless again. I keep fit by going to the gym three days aweek swim sometimes and i can do an hour of cardiovascular workouts quite happyly. I cant work out why my asthma is coming back ive been to the doctors and hes given me the old blue inhaler (ventolin)) which i take now at night.Anyone else suffer with asthma or think its coming back.

i have ashtma attacks all the time... i just fight them myself....

and live on, had it bad all my life, have to take 2 inhalers twice in the morning twice at night, ive been on oxygen masks etc all through my life.

nothing i can do makes it better, it will die down im sure eventually but we'll see.

Soldato
OP
MNuTz said:

I had asthma as a kid, never used the inhaler as it actually made me worse and more dependant on it. Exercise got me through it.

Im now 24 and although i dont exercise anywhere near enough its rare i get an asthma symptoms. That is, until hayfaver season.

Its usually later in the evening when i start wheezing, if i manage to fall to sleep then i wake up choking and coughing. I really do struggle for breath!

Yes i have hayfever bring on the summer lol i love it. :D

Permabanned
^TANK^ said:

Funny you should say that my gf has exactly the same problem recently shes taken up going to the gym and her asthma is coming back and is havign to use her inhaler ever day.

Soldato
OP
jezsoup said:
Funny you should say that my gf has exactly the same problem recently shes taken up going to the gym and her asthma is coming back and is havign to use her inhaler ever day.

Ive been going to the gym since i was 15, since then i havent been so breathless.Im 23 now and ive only started using my inhaler for about a month now.Exercise has helped me a lot im better for it anyway :)

Asthma attacks are often triggered by allergies. It is worthwhile persuading your GP to give you an alergy test. They do not take long and simply involve you having the common allergens (in liquid form) being put on your arm and then a needle pearces your skin where each drop is. You wait in the waiting room for a few min and then come back. Anything that reacts you are allergic to.

It doesn't prevent any attacks, but at least you know what to avoid to make life more bareable.

I hope this is not to medical for the forums

Associate
I've been diagnosed with asthma but it doesn't affect me very much unless I get the cold. I don't have many attacks but when I do it's terrifying, but it usually passes on it's own or, if it's serious, I have to take my inhaler (also the blue thing).

Last edited:
Soldato
It could be just hayfever triggered, it could be coming back properly, who's to know. You can live with it easily though, if you follow the doctors advice re when and how often to take your medication.

I too have had it all my life, varying degrees of severity at different times. I now have what I consider to be a 'miracle' drug that has pretty much cured all symptoms. So long as you follow the advice given you should be able to manage it fine.

Soldato
KaHn said:
What I was thinking, maybe you have a chest infection or a little bit of hayfever, any way I suggest going to your doctors to be sure.

KaHn
Nar, its always worse when summer comes. It comes in days and then goes for days, so I doubt its a chest infection. Cheers for the concern :x

Soldato
MNuTz said:

Interesting that you talk about Hayfever as there is a known link between Asthma, Hayfever and in some cases Eczema as well.

I suffer with Asthma and Hayfever and have done for around about twenty years now and for me I`ve been rather lucky with the Asthma and only suffered to major attacks, the first came when I was diagnosed with asthma ( at the tender age of seven) then second came when I was about twenty, The second attack was caused by sheer stupidity and lazenss, By not taking my inhalers and not getting checked up as often as I should I had a massive attack which was followed by about a years worth of treatment untill I was 100% again.

Remeber folks don`t ever abuse Asthma, You may think you are ok and stop the inhalers but it will come back and bite you hard.

I did learn a very important lesson from my second attack and sicne that day I get check out often and take my inhalers as prescribed.

Soldato
The occurence of asthma seemingly getting worse when going to a gym could be because of the cleaning detergents and other such products they will no doubt use. Better to excercise in a well ventilated area instead, i.e. outdoors. : )

It's also been said if swimming, chlorine gases released from the water are bad for asthma, or anybody else for that matter (over a prolonged period).

Soldato
mctiny said:
By not taking my inhalers and not getting checked up as often as I should I had a massive attack which was followed by about a years worth of treatment untill I was 100% again.

Do you know what triggered the attack? Are you allergic to something specifically?

Soldato
norm said:
Do you know what triggered the attack? Are you allergic to something specifically?
In a nut shell it was down to being stupid and gravely irresponsable with my inhalers and not taking the treatment seriously enough. there was a small amount of stress and panic involved as well but it was more down to detiriating health due to not taking the inhalers.

Soldato
asthma is for life. it will always come back regardless.
there is a cure for it. but since pharmacies charge £5 per inhalor your not gonna see that cure anytime soon. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom