Any catches with the GIgabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5?

Associate
Am I missing somthing... the board has dual NICs (one of which is Intel), dual audio codecs, dual BIOS chips, a PS/2 connector, reinforced PCI slots, 6+2 SATA ports (8 in total, two of which are SATA Express), plenty of fan headers etc. etc... and all for £130.

If I was to list what I'd want in my ideal motherboard, this would get the closet for anything under £200.

It seams so good on paper when compared to the competition (more connections, more I/O more features) that I feel like there must be a snag. I've been looking for snags and aside from the usual kind of stuff that you'd find on most other motherboards and the fanboyish nonsense, there doesn't really seam to be any big issues.

Can anyone enlighten me on whether this is too good to be true? Have motherboard specs really moved on that much since Sandy Bridge or am I missing somethings that makes the lesser specced offerings from the likes of Asus, ASRock and MSI the better choice?

Associate
OcUk sell it with a $40 Steam voucher too!

For the money, I agree it seems amazing. It is one of the motherboards I've been considering for awhile. The only snag I've come across in reviews is an issue with the dual bios feature incorrectly sensing a BIOS problem and wiping user settings as the backup BIOS is restored. I am also looking at the Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming and I read reviews from users having BIOS issues with that motherboard too. Seems BIOS issues are common with Gigabyte boards these days. Completely opposite for the rock solid stability I've had with my current Gigabyte motherboard/BIOS. That said I'm also looking at the Asus Prime X470-Pro and people are reporting the fans randomly turning off. I guess no board is perfect. You just have the decide whats best for you and hope they fix the BIOS issues in updates in the future.

Associate
I have this board running my 1600 @ 3.8 Ghz and Corsair LPX 3200 (Hynix) at 3200Mhz using the standard XMP profile. Been rock solid for best part of a year used mostly for gaming, in fact i think I'm still on a pretty old bios (F6 I think?) as all was running perfect so went with the old if it isnt broke dont fix it theory. I will need to update the bios at some point though as I'll probably grab a 2600X or 2700X at some point when i see a good deal.

Associate
Am I missing somthing... the board has dual NICs (one of which is Intel), dual audio codecs, dual BIOS chips, a PS/2 connector, reinforced PCI slots, 6+2 SATA ports (8 in total, two of which are SATA Express), plenty of fan headers etc. etc... and all for £130.

If I was to list what I'd want in my ideal motherboard, this would get the closet for anything under £200.

It seams so good on paper when compared to the competition (more connections, more I/O more features) that I feel like there must be a snag. I've been looking for snags and aside from the usual kind of stuff that you'd find on most other motherboards and the fanboyish nonsense, there doesn't really seam to be any big issues.

Can anyone enlighten me on whether this is too good to be true? Have motherboard specs really moved on that much since Sandy Bridge or am I missing somethings that makes the lesser specced offerings from the likes of Asus, ASRock and MSI the better choice?

I Had that motherboard, Had Hardware Defects
Soundblaster Z sound card
SoftBrick
Main Bios Corrupt, this happened 3 times with mine, some people had both Corrupt , that's a send back
Sata Ports losing connection
Changing the RGB strip colour in software would make a deep buzz in the speakers & freeze the screen for some secs

Just have to look on the Gigabyte USA Forum
You could try the board, you have 14 days to return it for a change or refund
Otherwise stay clear ... you be better off with the x470 gaming 5 or get the Solid AsusPRIME X470

Last edited:
Soldato
comes with uk RMA to and rep support on here too

VRM count should be fine to handle zen2 chips as well :D

though X470 Ultra is cheaper and 5 has best in class wifi if needs be

Hero and taichi boards (x370) are also damn good to

Soldato
I have this motherboard and it's been fine since F8 bios or so, before that I was unable to run the ram anywhere near the the rated speed - all fine now though.

It's been stable, even when I had to run the ram at a lower speed, I've not had anything funny happen in the year or so since I've had it. I run my 1700 at 3.75GHz.

If I was buying now I would get the x470 just because they are newer but I've not looked at the differences and if the newer chipsets offer anything new to the point that it makes the old ones obsolete.

Associate
I'm using 2 X370 K7 Boards, same VRM and bios as the Gaming 5 (not to be confused with the K5) thumbs up from me using F23F Bios.

The fan-boys like the Hero board though which is a little tighter on the vrm by the looks of it, I guess it depends what your after.

los

los

Associate
I'm pleased with mine, runs my memory at 3200, works as it should, thumbs up from me!
I had a b350 strix previously which wouldnt shut down properly, then refused to turn on, so it's better than that one

Back
Top Bottom