Any flash developers here?

Soldato
Just compiling my first website and it's interesting how frames and layers work so well with each other. Its been an interest to me how people create flash websites which make it look it look so streamlined.

I had my first run ins of "why doesn't this work?" and "FFS!"

Onwards and forwards!:o

Associate
Flash has its place but I don't agree with use some people make of it, playing music by default is the reason I use flash block.

Uni currently have me making an entire site in flash, something i don't fully agree with but i'm trying to use features that would justify the use of flash.

The site i'm loving at the moment is something like this:

http://www.betharmsheimer.com/

Can it all be bad with flash? (minus the intro)

Doesn't work for me :(

EDIT: Does in IE, don't see why it needs to full screen in its own window mind you.

Last edited:
Soldato
http://www.betharmsheimer.com/

Can it all be bad with flash? (minus the intro)
Yeah, the usual 'Site in a SWF' usability issues are there:

- Browser's 'Back' button functionality breaks from the expected
- Inability to link to individual 'pages' within the Flash
- In-Flash scrolling not operated by scroll wheel
- Page zoom broken
- Other browser functionality disabled or broken [menus hidden, keyboard shortcuts don't work, etc]

Flash arguably has its uses, but entire site builds aren't one of them if you care about the user experience.

Associate
Yeah, the usual 'Site in a SWF' usability issues are there:

- Browser's 'Back' button functionality breaks from the expected
- Inability to link to individual 'pages' within the Flash
- In-Flash scrolling not operated by scroll wheel
- Page zoom broken
- Other browser functionality disabled or broken [menus hidden, keyboard shortcuts don't work, etc]

Flash arguably has its uses, but entire site builds aren't one of them if you care about the user experience.

Assuming you're not talking about the site you quoted:

- You can have forward and back button functionality through deep linking http://www.asual.com/swfaddress/
- I think this is achieved by the above
- I've seen the scroll wheel working in flash before
No idea about the rest.

But those 3 functions all can be achieved it comes down to the creator.

Associate
Im a fairly competent with flash/AS3 dev and used to think flash was god, however growing up a bit its obvious to see all its flaws and issues.

Making sites 'swish' nowadays is just as easy using html/css/javascript with a bit of ajax if necessary especially with how easy jquery/mootools/glow/etc are to use.

Flash still has its uses for small online games, video playback, online music players etc and also for offline desktop purposes such as elearning applications and similar, however if your just starting out with flash and are really into web design/dev id highly recommend switching to html/css/javascript and maybe come back to flash at a later date...

Soldato
They already do. There are plenty of ways to make flash content be picked up by search engine spiders.

That's absolute and utter sh!te.

There are plenty of ways for bots to read html with embedded flash sure. But bots reading flash movies? Why would they carry that overhead?

Some bots - googles high end bots, some googlebots and maybe yahoo take a peek. And that's only to get a peek. The rest of it... nah... I've yet to see text that only appears in a flash movie appear in search engine results.

Other than that... as someone who once spent 3 years being a flash developer (from flash 2-4) it's a great medium for making stuff that people like, but bots still hate it. Bots like well formed xhtml. End of.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to ten years ago sold one site and then i became bored loved messing with action script and i thought these guys were gods :D http://www.2advanced.com.

Edit: And people who went full screen back then were considered to be baby killers lol many posts arguing the fact on various forums.

A flash forum i am still a member of is the longest i have ever been part of a community just over 10 years i still pop in now and then for look :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes flash has its uses and sure, you can maybe get some content indexed but ask yourself this, when was the last time you searched for something on google and found yourself on a 100% flash website?

Back
Top Bottom