Any idea when OCUK will be getting this new IcyBox NAS?

Associate
I was one of the lucky ones who managed to get one from the first batch, arrived this afternoon, so thought I would post quickly with my first impressions.

The cady is smaller than I expected, barely any wider than a HDD and not much higher than 2 drives stacked. In typical Icybox fashion, its a very sturdy attrasctive piece of kit.

Setup is a breeze, installed 2 hard drives, turned it on, opened the config from a browser and had it configuring RAID 1 within 5 minutes.

Plugged in my printer and configured windows to use it with no problems.

Haven't played with the user and groups options as I have no need to control access, so as it is, everyone can access the data on it.

Its pretty quiet, the fan is temperature controlled, I get a little bit of vibration through the feet, but putting a few bits of cardboard underneath has sorted that.

Haven't tried any of the other server functions yet, but all in all, I am very pleased.
:D

Soldato
I was one of the lucky ones who managed to get one from the first batch, arrived this afternoon, so thought I would post quickly with my first impressions.

The cady is smaller than I expected, barely any wider than a HDD and not much higher than 2 drives stacked. In typical Icybox fashion, its a very sturdy attrasctive piece of kit.

Setup is a breeze, installed 2 hard drives, turned it on, opened the config from a browser and had it configuring RAID 1 within 5 minutes.

Plugged in my printer and configured windows to use it with no problems.

Haven't played with the user and groups options as I have no need to control access, so as it is, everyone can access the data on it.

Its pretty quiet, the fan is temperature controlled, I get a little bit of vibration through the feet, but putting a few bits of cardboard underneath has sorted that.

Haven't tried any of the other server functions yet, but all in all, I am very pleased.
:D

How are the network configuration settings? Can you define it as a static IP? Will it recognise windows shares/partitions that are already on the drives?

Associate
You can set a static IP if you want, and the NAS can act as a DHCP server if you don't have one on your network.

If you are setting up RAID, the disks will be wiped, if not, as long as you have the drive formatted with FAT32, then I guess it should recognise partitions already on the drive, but I haven't tried that.

To use RAID you have to have the drives formatted as either EXT2 or EXT3.

Associate
Mine is formatting to Ext3 as I type.

Very impressed so far, all metal build, good quality parts and easy to use set-up utils.

As posted there is a little vibration but it does have silicon isolators on the mounting points so it's kept to a minimum. Can't fault it so far.

Associate
Well all formatted and I've got it set to span on the raid settings as this will work best with the media player (Thanks for the info on that Andy :))

Soldato
Got some questions about this if anyone knows;

If you put in two discs and dont want any form of raid will they show up as two discs?
Then if you took one out would it be readable by a normal pc?
Lastly if you only put one disc in and one later on with it show up as two and would there be any issueS?

Associate
If you put in two discs and dont want any form of raid will they show up as two discs?
Yes, also known as JBOD (just a bunch of disks)

Then if you took one out would it be readable by a normal pc?
Yes, as long as you format as FAT32

Lastly if you only put one disc in and one later on with it show up as two and would there be any issueS?

Yes, as long as you don't want to RAID them - all data will be wiped when creating the RAID array.

You may find this link helpfull (you can download the manual)

Soldato
Yes, also known as JBOD (just a bunch of disks)

Yes, as long as you format as FAT32

Yes, as long as you don't want to RAID them - all data will be wiped when creating the RAID array.

You may find this link helpfull (you can download the manual)

TBH i did look through the manual and it didnt click to me that JBOD was just normal discs :( Cheers anyhow!

Associate
It should work ok with a share setup. Cannot try it with my mybook as it has to be a recognised file system (ext2, ext3 or FAT32) and mines NTFS.

Associate
NAS-4220 Board

Hi guys, i bought my box in Germany already in september. And I'm still happy with it :) If you want, you can join us in the community at the English Board

I'm sure we can tell you a lot more about our experiences.

Associate
Being my first foray into NAS/Raid can somebody just put my mind at rest over the overhead on the discs.

I have 2x WD 500GB AAKS in span (nraid) and they are formatted to EXT3. The NAS4220 reports the total volume to be 915GB and XP confirms this but XP is showing only 869GB free space :confused:

Is it something to do with how XP deals with the EXT3 file system ?

Seems like a lot to lose, can anyone explain please :)

Soldato
Being my first foray into NAS/Raid can somebody just put my mind at rest over the overhead on the discs.

I have 2x WD 500GB AAKS in span (nraid) and they are formatted to EXT3. The NAS4220 reports the total volume to be 915GB and XP confirms this but XP is showing only 869GB free space :confused:

Is it something to do with how XP deals with the EXT3 file system ?

Seems like a lot to lose, can anyone explain please :)

I'd assume it was the journal used for the file system (though seems rather a lot to use for it)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3

Associate
I don't think it's the journal as I tried reformatting to Ext2 and it's the same, the raid use on the drive drops from 140MB to 0.6MB so I think that is the space used for the journal.

I just want my space back, it's mine and I want it ;):D

Associate
Cannot wait until mine arrives, packed with functionality for the price! I have 2 x 320GB USB HDDs to connect, would it be better to format them Ext3 or FAT32? I was thinking FAT32 because I can access them from Windows but I dont think its as reliable FS as Ext3?

Back
Top Bottom