Any idea when OCUK will be getting this new IcyBox NAS?

Associate
Yes it will auto-rebuild the RAID1 array after a drive failure or replacement and yes it has a BitTorrent client built in.

You can download a copy of the manual here

Soldato
So using them as JOBD as plan to use a 500gb and 320gb disks.

However they are currently NTFS, do i therefore need to change it to EXT2 ? If so would that wipe the data ?

No, you cant convert to EXT2, you could probably convert them to FAT32. You'd have to format them to get EXT2. However, you'd still have to wipe them to setup RAID.

Soldato
I have Vista 64, no problems here. You don't need any software installed on the PC, just access it via a web browser to configure it.

I think the software that comes with it just finds the NAS on your network.

Thats’ right. It may be worth noting for others. I couldn't access mine at all initially via the web browser or software provided. A factory reset fixed this. I also didn't have a UK plug which was slightly annoying.

I've had the unit for almost a week now. The transfer speeds are acceptable, but certainly don't set the world alight. This could partly be due to vistas transfer speed issues. The SSH and BitTorrent add-ons work well and the unit is quiet working happily with a 500GB drive.

Soldato
The news page says big stock. It's bad they've come in stock, it's meaning I have to spend £100 now :p Well, more, because I'm gonna buy a new hard drive to go in it too :)

The hard drive went up by £5 today! I'll wait til it comes back down again...

Last edited:
Soldato
These look like a really good job - think I will order one soonish. Would performance be any better than doing backups to a shared folder on another pc or is having a NAS a better option?

Soldato
These look like a really good job - think I will order one soonish. Would performance be any better than doing backups to a shared folder on another pc or is having a NAS a better option?

It's not performance you particularly buy a NAS for, more convenience of being able to leave it on all the time. This also offers other nice features like the music server.

I'll be using mine so I can access my project work from wherever I happen to be :)

That's ordered by the way! Finally! :D

EDIT: gone for the AAKS500, figured the 32mb cache of the Seagate wouldn't really matter here!

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not performance you particularly buy a NAS for, more convenience of being able to leave it on all the time. This also offers other nice features like the music server.

I'll be using mine so I can access my project work from wherever I happen to be :)

That's ordered by the way! Finally! :D

Of course its the handiness of the NAS that far outweighs any performance but was just curious to know if transfer speeds would be comparable to just transferring to a shared folder mapped as a network drive.

This was the first I had ever saw a product like this which was affordable really so it looks like a very useful solution indeed.

Associate
Just received one of these yesterday. First impression are good, construction seems really solid and it isn't noisy.

One question about the BT Client though. Do I need to add port forwarding for this and if so how do I find out which port to forward?

Soldato
Just getting mine set up, the possibilities are huge it would seem. Sorting out permissions and stuff now, need to work out how to make sure my housemates can't mess about with my files :p

I'm being nice and giving them lots of space on it :)

Soldato
Which file do I use for the firmware upgrade?

There doesn't seem to be any instructions anywhere!

EDIT: cancel that, it's the .tgz inside the .tgz :p

EDIT3: how silent is everyone else's when it's not been accessed for a while? I can't work out whether the hard drive's spun down or not. Turned Bonjour off and changed the timeout to 4 minutes, not sure what difference it's made :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine is pretty silent, once the drives have spun down.
The btclient seems to work pretty well. Takes a bit of time to get started though.

Is it obvious when they spin down?

I've been looking at the torrent stuff and it seems there's a problem with it at the moment... Translating the German forum, the settings get reset everytime in the .rtorrent.rc file, meaning you can't set ports for it to use. Think Raidsonic are aware of it though.

Back
Top Bottom