Any idea when OCUK will be getting this new IcyBox NAS?

s-p

s-p

Associate
an elcheapo celeron box would be far better than this, surely?

Depends what you're after really. I personally went for one of these as I'd much rather be powering a device not much bigger than 2 hard drives, rather than a full desktop/tower/sff machine.

Soldato
I am getting quite annoyed with the NAS, the reason I bought it was to use the Bittorrent and to share my media files throughout the house - it does neither that well. Bittorrent is slow and doesn't seed once downloaded. The transfer rate for sharing files is dire - if 2 people try to stream 2 movies over wifi it cant seem to take it, theres a lot of stuttering. I would be more inclined to hang on if the community were more active - ie with fixes or Raidsonic actually gave a toss - but they seem good at ignoring their customers (especially the English speaking ones!)

Associate
As wombraider asked earlier, I'm also wondering if you can connect USB hubs to the USB ports and then be able to add further harddrives that way to bulk up storage capacity?

Anyone tried it even with just a couple of extra USB external drives running on the USB ports? Either for backup, or particularly just for straight storage available over the network.

Associate
Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting one of these but have a few Q's (for anyone with a 1.2 MB + latest firmware)

1) I have 2 x 320GB Western Digital HD's to put in, will I still have to use the USB trick to make them spindown or is that all fixed now?

2) Is the torrent clients port selectable at all?

3) How loud is the fan during general use?

Thanks in advance... :)

Soldato
I am getting quite annoyed with the NAS, the reason I bought it was to use the Bittorrent and to share my media files throughout the house - it does neither that well. Bittorrent is slow and doesn't seed once downloaded. The transfer rate for sharing files is dire - if 2 people try to stream 2 movies over wifi it cant seem to take it, theres a lot of stuttering. I would be more inclined to hang on if the community were more active - ie with fixes or Raidsonic actually gave a toss - but they seem good at ignoring their customers (especially the English speaking ones!)

I have the same issue. Bought for bit torrent but it's useless.

Check the wiki links earlier in this thread, apparently there is a version of MLdonkey that can be applied and it's much better.

Soldato
Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting one of these but have a few Q's (for anyone with a 1.2 MB + latest firmware)

1) I have 2 x 320GB Western Digital HD's to put in, will I still have to use the USB trick to make them spindown or is that all fixed now?

2) Is the torrent clients port selectable at all?

3) How loud is the fan during general use?

Thanks in advance... :)

Apparantly Raid Sonic are allowing existing owners to send it back to them to get a new 1.2mainboard which fixes the WD spindown and Samsung issues. Be careful if you're buying one anytime soon as there are reports that most retailers still have the 1.1 version.

Think i'll wait a few months personally.

Back
Top Bottom