Any ideas ??

Associate
Not used one of my laptops for 7 months and switched it on yesterday . Seemed OK , plugged in a network cable to get the MS updates and nothing . Packets going out but nothing coming in .Left it for a while and it started to behave very odly .
Desktop icons flashing from one to the other , couldn't open a program at first and when I did , every box as if Iwas going to open a file or save a file filled in with the letter 'k'. Ran the anti-virus and it found the Vundo trojan . All deleted but it was still acting the same .Booting into the BIOS left every box on the screen flashing from one section to the other , so I could have never altered anything , if I'd needed to change the boot sequence for instance .If I open Notepad , the box starts to type the letter 'k ' over and over again.
So, changed the memory , updated the BIOS from the HP site , put another hard drive in and re-installed Windows and when you get to the name section , just before the Windows Key section , it fills up with the letter 'k' . I click next and attempt to fill in the key and I get ..............you guessed it .........the letter 'k' .Every box fills up with 'k's
I have NEVER experienced anything like this in the 15 years I've been associated with Pc' and laptops and I'm at a loss what has caused this .
Anyway the laptop is useless now , so, I'll put it on the bay for spares .
If it's a resident virus causing this , if thats the problem , where the heck is it ? Has it embeded itself into a chip somewhere or could this be a motherboard problem ?

Soldato
The k key must be stuck as Edward says, I don't imagine it being a virus or anything. If the laptop has a PS2 socket, try plugging in another keyboard and see what happens.

OT, why do you use punctuation the way you do? I find it very distracting when trying to read your post.

Associate
OP
Sorry about the messy post , it was done without thinking how it would look.

I dont think it's a stuck key , it doesn't work at all . But , If I press the J or L keys , say in notepad then the K's start typing by themselves . It can randomly go in reverse too , deleting two rows of K's at the same time . I have never ever seen this before .
I managed to get a fresh version of XP Home onto the laptop but it still types K's in everybox .I've taken out the HDD & RAM now as the thing is useless .cheers.

Back
Top Bottom