Any Mini (2000 onwards) owners about?

Associate
I just bought a 2005 Mini Cooper for a laugh, cost next to nowt and thought it could be fun.

It's really lumpy at low revs in all gears but a little trooper above 2,5-3,000 rpm.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Don
it's okay but you ideally want 200bhp to make it really fun to drive.

You don't half talk rubbish...

Outside of the JCW Models none of the Minis have 200bhp+, yet all of them are fun to drive.

I've owned an R56 Cooper S, and that was definitely "really fun to drive" despite having less than 200bhp, and I've driven an R56 Cooper which was just as fun to drive as the S (probably more so as you were less likely to do license losing speeds), and more recently I've driven a F55 5 Door Cooper D which whilst diesel was still fun to drive.

Anyway with regards to the original problem:
It's really lumpy at low revs in all gears but a little trooper above 2,5-3,000 rpm.

Seems to be quite a common problem, unfortunately with no real answers:
https://www.mini2.com/threads/car-laggy-hesitant-lumpy-driving-from-cold.169529
https://www.northamericanmotoring.c...01-r53-cooper-s-idle-troubles-re-visited.html

Caporegime
You don't half talk rubbish...

Outside of the JCW Models none of the Minis have 200bhp+, yet all of them are fun to drive.

I've owned an R56 Cooper S, and that was definitely "really fun to drive" despite having less than 200bhp, and I've driven an R56 Cooper which was just as fun to drive as the S (probably more so as you were less likely to do license losing speeds), and more recently I've driven a F55 5 Door Cooper D which whilst diesel was still fun to drive.

Anyway with regards to the original problem:

Seems to be quite a common problem, unfortunately with no real answers:
https://www.mini2.com/threads/car-laggy-hesitant-lumpy-driving-from-cold.169529
https://www.northamericanmotoring.c...01-r53-cooper-s-idle-troubles-re-visited.html

the mini cooper s has 190 bhp which is 200 bhp rounded up

which is what i was getting at. i did say get the mini cooper s.

Associate
OP
cooper s if you wanted proper fun. at least you didn't buy the diesel though.

it's okay but you ideally want 200bhp to make it really fun to drive.

I've had a Cooper S Clubman mapped up to 215bhp by Celtic Tuning and that was bags of fun.

Other commitments have lead to me spending money on a Suzuki S-Cross (sigh) for the Mrs and a fortune on my VW camper.

Thanks, I'll check out the links.

Caporegime
And the first gen (R53) had 168bhp, the second gen (R56) "only" 175bhp. Are these not "fun" or do you round them up as well????

first gen was smaller iirc so less weight probably around the same in terms of power to performance.

which is why i stated mini cooper s.

the cooper s was the proper hot hatch.

the cooper and cooper d were like any normal car just smaller. the one was gutless. the cooper and cooper d would appear fun to anyone who has never driven a proper hot hatch.

Soldato
first gen was smaller iirc so less weight probably around the same in terms of power to performance.

which is why i stated mini cooper s.

the cooper s was the proper hot hatch.

the cooper and cooper d were like any normal car just smaller. the one was gutless. the cooper and cooper d would appear fun to anyone who has never driven a proper hot hatch.

If your idea of fun is accelerating to license-losing speeds in the blink of an eye with 500bhp under the bonnet then I would imagine a... erm... {however much power the 2005 Mini Cooper has} car would feel underwhelming.

Whereas someone who enjoys threading a car through B roads, keeping up momentum, and generally exploiting the chassis will probably have a whale of a time.

Different strokes and all that.

Associate
Minis are always fun. I have a very slow one (2001 r50) along with a cayman S (so very different cars). Both are very very fun but in completely different ways.

Amazingly I can get out of the cayman, get into the r50 and with less than a third of the horsepower still have a hoot.

Just don't look at the speedo. You aren't going that fast (which arguably is good), but it still feels great!

To answer the original question.... I wouldn't say it feels lumpy but I would agree that its quite gutless at low revs and likes to be held higher in the rev range when in fun mode. But I'd say thats the case for most older cars. Modern cars have much more low down grunt.

If its actually lumpy low down (by which I assume you mean, not very consistent response?) will be spark, fuel or air (intake and exhaust) related but you'd end up replacing loads of parts until something (maybe) fixes it as you'll notice I've just mentioned all the things that make combustion..... A reasonable plan would be to get the necessary tools/software to get the engine data up on your laptop, and take a look through the data. Should be able to start finding some clues.

Depends how lumpy it is whether its worth the faff. Good excuse to drive it harder and avoid the issue :)

Man of Honour
I just bought a 2005 Mini Cooper for a laugh, cost next to nowt and thought it could be fun.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

My immediate thoughts are rip off the throttle body and give it a good clean. Not sure if the maf is in the throttle body on these but ive had several lumpy motors over the years where a decent clean of the TB and MAF have done wonders.

Also great little cars, I hired one for a day and drove around pretty much the entire island of Mauritius. Was a great little thing to throw about even with the sequential box.

Associate
OP
To answer the original question.... I wouldn't say it feels lumpy but I would agree that its quite gutless at low revs and likes to be held higher in the rev range when in fun mode. But I'd say thats the case for most older cars. Modern cars have much more low down grunt.

If its actually lumpy low down (by which I assume you mean, not very consistent response?) will be spark, fuel or air (intake and exhaust) related but you'd end up replacing loads of parts until something (maybe) fixes it as you'll notice I've just mentioned all the things that make combustion..... A reasonable plan would be to get the necessary tools/software to get the engine data up on your laptop, and take a look through the data. Should be able to start finding some clues.

Depends how lumpy it is whether its worth the faff. Good excuse to drive it harder and avoid the issue :)

May have to order an ODB scanner thing and plug it in.

Thanks for the suggestions. Driving it hard is definitely fun. It pulls to 20mph better than the cooper s pre map.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Ignoring the point about whether we should round any hp number above 100 to 200..

I remember driving a Cooper a number of years ago. Thought it was bags of fun, and that was with the 130hp version.
IIRC, it wasn't lumpy, but was rather coarse. Not sure if the OP is referring to that.

If it is genuinely lumpy, then my suggestion is that you run it on non-supermarket fuel for a few weeks. I found that supermarket fuel made my MX5 feel rough low down. Changed to Shell (just the standard 95) and it smoothed out after a few weeks. I now run it only on Shell 95, and it's been perfect since.

Associate
OP
Ignoring the point about whether we should round any hp number above 100 to 200..

I remember driving a Cooper a number of years ago. Thought it was bags of fun, and that was with the 130hp version.
IIRC, it wasn't lumpy, but was rather coarse. Not sure if the OP is referring to that.

If it is genuinely lumpy, then my suggestion is that you run it on non-supermarket fuel for a few weeks. I found that supermarket fuel made my MX5 feel rough low down. Changed to Shell (just the standard 95) and it smoothed out after a few weeks. I now run it only on Shell 95, and it's been perfect since.

I'll give that a try, cheers.

Soldato
Just agreed to buy a 2016 Cooper S, changing from my NC MX5, quite exciting to get into something more modern!

Picking it up next Saturday and then a long drive back from the North!

Back
Top Bottom