Any opinions on o2 broadband?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I have had O2 broadband for a few weeks now, and it has started to disconnect randomly, starting to get annoying. It if say I click a link, it will take ages, and sometimes an error will come up, something about something refreshing unexpectedly/not fast enough (sorry I realise that is a crap explanation)

This is the stats from my router

Uptime:0 days, 1:56:43
spacer.gif
DSL
Type:G.992.5 annex A
spacer.gif

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,079 / 3,614
spacer.gif

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:0.00 / 0.00
spacer.gif
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.0 / 15.5
spacer.gif
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:35.5 / 60.0
spacer.gif

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:6.5 / 8.0
spacer.gif

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / BDCM
spacer.gif

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
spacer.gif

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
spacer.gif
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
spacer.gif
Loss of Link (Remote):0
spacer.gif

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):38 / 0
spacer.gif

FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 2,204,990
spacer.gif
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 4,132
spacer.gif
HEC Errors (Up/Down):138 / 2,346

I dont know much about networking, buit my Attenuation and SNR are bad yes?

My BT line is capable of 4mb according to the email O2 sent me, and Im on their middle 8mb package

Thanks

Your stats all tie in , with 60db Line attenuation, you are doing very well to get 3.6Mbps @ 8db SNR..

For you, it would be worth looking at 'SNR' Tweaking, you could probably get that upto 5Mbps, but obviously line stability may come into play.

Soldato
Dear ,

Just a note to say that we've completed a health check on the actual speed of your O2 Home Broadband line. The good news is that everything is fine.

We hope that you enjoy your new O2 Home Broadband service, and thanks for choosing O2.

Best regards

The O2 Home Broadband Team.

DSL Status: UP
DSL Modulation Mode: Auto
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 9365 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 1207 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 6 db
Upstream Margin: 5 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 39
Upstream Line Attenuation: 39
Downstream Transmit Power: 21
Upstream Transmit Power: 12
LOS Errors: 0

Soldato
nah, basically at the beginning of your contract we completely uncap your line so you will sync at the highest your line can cope with. if, after the monitoring period, you don't sync above your package cap (i.e. you took premium but only get 5Mb) we will drop you down to standard at your request, for free, and refund any money you paid extra.

thanks for the info :) gona stick to premium as with a 834gt i can get just above 8Mb which will do me fine for now

Soldato
My AM200 over the last couple of days has been losing net connection (I think) how can I tell if its my Modem or o2.

I don't think there is a way to tell, other than plugging in a different modem/router. If you do so and it still looses connection, chances are its an O2 prob instead of the modem or router.

I've not had any of the slowdowns in speed that we had a few weeks ago but today for some reason a lot of the time I clicked on a web page to view it, it did a "page cannot be displayed" thing.

Click on the same link/page a second time and it loads up fine.

Seems to have been doing that quite regularly recently as well as a strange delay when initially loading a website or page. Progress bar starts off really slowly upon first clicking on a page and takes a while to actually load it up or so it would seem. Then all of a sudden the progress bar shoots up rapidly and the page loads. Just seems to be the initial "Looking for....." bit that takes ages then when its found the page it loads up as per normal.

Anyone else getting that?. :confused:

Soldato
Are there any known issues right now with Be/O2 and torrents?

I think something's up with it, and to check I've just been on TPB on the Top 100 and found a torrent with 3090 seeders (it's something I've no interest in but as its popular is a good test).

It says it's connected but is downloading from 0 of 0 peers :confused:
Another popular torrent is downloading from 2 of 2 peers (TPB says there's loads of seeders available) but it isn't actually downloading, just occasionally downloads 4KB/s.

As far as I know, nothing's been changed on my computer or the modem or the router, and last time I torrented (a month I think) it worked fine..... so me thinks it's something at O2's end?

Soldato
Could it be a port forwarding issue perhaps?.

Although if you have managed to DL torrents previously on the same set up, possibly not. :cool:

Linky HERE regards port forwarding if you are using the o2 supplied Wireless Box II.

Last edited:
Soldato
Found it

ptime: 0 days, 2:45:25
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,282 / 9,649
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.5 / 38.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 5.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0