Any opinions on o2 broadband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC

JC

Soldato
I've read through a lot of the thread but would like to clarify some up-to-date details.
Currently aware that the family home paying £21 for broadband that syncs at under 3mb is a rather costly approach!

Line is ADSL2+/LLU capable but due to the length of the cable I wouldnt expect to exceed 5mb on anything.

I believe we'd be looking at the £12.23 package offered for non O2 customers?

The Quidco deal is showing as £50 currently?
The friend/family scheme discount that was previously offered here, is it still available and what would this bring the line cost to? I gather it's not compatible in conjunction with the quidco offer?

We have ADSL1 at the moment so would we require a new set of microfilters to ADSL2+ standard?
Is a filtered faceplate at the main socket a better approach?

Thanks for any answers :)

Associate
I've read through a lot of the thread but would like to clarify some up-to-date details.
Currently aware that the family home paying £21 for broadband that syncs at under 3mb is a rather costly approach!

Line is ADSL2+/LLU capable but due to the length of the cable I wouldnt expect to exceed 5mb on anything.

I believe we'd be looking at the £12.23 package offered for non O2 customers?

The Quidco deal is showing as £50 currently?
The friend/family scheme discount that was previously offered here, is it still available and what would this bring the line cost to? I gather it's not compatible in conjunction with the quidco offer?

We have ADSL1 at the moment so would we require a new set of microfilters to ADSL2+ standard?

Thanks for any answers :)

You get a free router with filters, I didn't notice any real difference in speed changing from filters to a filter plate but I have noticed I don't get quite so many dropped connections.

I'm on a long line (LLU 55-56db attenuation) and although I was quoted 4.8mb I get 5-5mb average. 5mb with O2 is 10x better than BT at 4.4mb as I get max speed 24/7 and don't have to mess about with waiting for the line to adjust before getting the best speed.

I only got £20 back from Quidco myself but it's better than nothing.

There are some people though who are having a rough time with O2 due to over demand in certain areas. You may want to ask in the O2 forum and see if anyone else in your area is having problems.

Soldato
... The Quidco deal is showing as £50 currently?

Remember the Quidco deal takes £5 of that saving, if this is the first time using Qudico, to pay a £5 anual fee.

As for Friends and Family your best sending an email to Wicksta as this thread is fairly old and long.

The O2 box includes two filters. If you require more it might work out cheaper to get a master socket filtered face plate, but depends on how cheap you can source additional filters.

Associate
Your already over 20mb, not sure if its limited or it would go even higher with a lower SNR, you must be right next to the exchange to get those line stats.

I'd be tempted to get a Netgear DG834GT and use custom firmware and lower the SNR to see what happens.

i've tried put down to 50% SNR on my custom firmware DG834GT.
DownStream Connection Speed 21462 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1334 kbps

30%
DownStream Connection Speed 21839 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1317 kbps

but i better leave it to 100% as it might go wrong if lower than that.

Last edited:

JC

JC

Soldato
Hope to get O2 broadband ordered soon, emailed Wicksta about the friend/family deal, hope it makes it via the trust email system. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom