• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any opinions re. possible coil whine with Nvidia GTX 2070 (non OC) card?

Associate
I am considering switching to Nvidia, always having stuck with AMD cards.

A good candidate is the Nvidia GTX 2070, but, if I add this to a passive cooled pc build I thought I would be wise and ask for opinions about possible coil whine.

What I think I have learned, based all on hearsay thorugh the years, is that coil whine is more random and maybe linked to certain component parts, but presumably a potential issue with high performing cards, as opposed to lower performing cards.

I guess, if you have a GTX 2070 being or not being an OC version, feel free to chime in on your experience. I would appreciate having some kind of idea of what I might expect with a 2070 card.

On a related note, I once ordered a fanless Seagate PSU, and.. when I put it into my build, I could hear high pitch squeal from 5m away :O. That one got returned to seller, and the one I got next had the expected low pitch squeal, when keeping your head close to the PSU, so acceptable to me (I mean, the noise was so quiet I didn't notice it from some distance).

On another related note.. reading a forum thread elsewhere, someone seem to link motherboard VRM's or chokes into the mix of possible causes of coil whine in general.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Oh, I found a video just now that seem to discuss the subject. I had no idea that coil whine noise might be just vibration noise from the components.

Back
Top Bottom