Any pocket watch experts in here?

Soldato
Odd request folks, but does anyone have any expertise in pocket watches, and might be able to help identify this maker:

The internals (movement?) looks similar to J Richards of London, cira 1788 - but this one is marked as "Cha Wrench", which I understand could mean Charles Wrench. The only issue is that I cannot locate any details on such a watch maker, so have little to go on.

Help is very much appreciated, thanks you :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Some more images:

Info I have so far, though two sources seem to show the master craftsman in different ways:

Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World by Baillie suggest that the marking "Cha Wrench" could be Chas Wrench - London (Spitalfields & Bishopsgate St.) - apprenticed 1769 registered with Clockmakers Company 1785 - 1820. Succeeded by his son Charles James Wrench CC 1814 & LCC 1815.

The Clockmakers’ Company Masters and their Apprentices (Transcribed from Atkins’ list of 1931) suggests that the markings are the same master craftsmen, but Charles Wrench's tenure is dated 1785, and Chas Wrench is 1821 to 1828.

Man of Honour
I want to say @Skidder knows his way around watches. If I'm totally wrong then there are definitely a couple of people on here who may be able to chime in @lakitu runs a watch repair business.

I'm afraid I'm not so hot on pocket watches. It certainly looks like some work went into it.

My dad collects pocket watches though. Next time I see him I will ask him to have a look. He's not too good on that internet though, so this will likely be in person.

Back
Top Bottom