• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any point buying a new GFX with DX10 round the corner

Soldato
its up to you. if you dont want to upgrade then it dont.

im assuming as you have 9800pro you may need a few things upgraded... so its expensive if you dont want to.

welll i guess its expensive even if you do, but it wont be nice spending all the money if its not really important

Permabanned
lemonkettaz said:
oh no it will be right.

only dx10 runs with vista

and some games will need dx10 to get the best out of them....

therefore a lot of people making money..i.e. for the best game performance you will need

vista
dx10
dx10 supported gfx card

thats why i am not looking forward to vista

i have to say, i dont see whats wrong with that, to get the most out of DX9 games right now you need

XP or 2000(if you still run 98 or ME i cant see you having a DX9 card)
Dx 9.0 or newer
Dx9 supported graphics card.

So whats different? apart from the obvious upgrading which happens every few years in the computer industry.

Associate
Does anyone know when the first DX-10 cards will even appear? (Or what they are), isn't vista supposed to be mid 2006?

Wont there also be some headroom anyway? I mean, say vista is out mid 2k6 and it takes a year or so for people to jump to vista then games and stuff will start to support it more thats already mid 2k7 or so and by then I'd normally be updating my card every year -> year and a half anyway.

Am I right in thinking this?

Associate
Don't wait for dx10 cards to come out - when they do they'll be expensive, and when they come down in price, they'll be something else round the corner. You could just wait and wait and wait, but one day, eventually, you'll have to buy the bullet and go for it - judge it by the types of games that are available

kdd

kdd

Soldato
lemonkettaz said:
its up to you. if you dont want to upgrade then it dont.

im assuming as you have 9800pro you may need a few things upgraded... so its expensive if you dont want to.

welll i guess its expensive even if you do, but it wont be nice spending all the money if its not really important

Hardware changes, you need to upgrade. That's pc gaming. Simple as that really. How many of the hardcore fraternity still have 12+ month old cards in their pc's? Many, but not most.

Soldato
Anyway how many normal peeps are going to buy Vista when it comes out. Not many

Dont bet on that. If it runs games at the same framerate as XP (and i dont see why it wont), it'll be massive. I dont know about you, but I'm bored with XP, i want something new to play with, and I'm not going to move to Linux or a Mac coz of the lack of games. PC's and PC gaming have become stale the last couple of years, Vista and DX10 will up the interest again.

The big thing for 2007+ is having your PC as your media/game/entertainment hub, having it in your front room, having a flash interface, ease of use, Vista MCE will be a big seller next year for sure.

Soldato
I can't wait for Vista - FSX or MS Flight Sim as it's more commonly known has been developed to take full advantage of Vista (inc. 64 bit processing) and DX10.
Looks amazing too!
Dunno what everyone's moaning about! :p

Soldato
Domo said:
I can't wait for Vista - FSX or MS Flight Sim as it's more commonly known has been developed to take full advantage of Vista (inc. 64 bit processing) and DX10.
Looks amazing too!
Dunno what everyone's moaning about! :p

Me neither, I am waiting for Vista before I do any upgrades to my system, although I will wait till next year before making the changes once Vista has been released for a quarter starting in November ;)

Soldato
teggs said:
3 letters are the reason i am not looking forward to vista...

Likewise, but my three letters are:

P O S

:D

Lanz said:
Vista MCE will be a big seller next year for sure.

Maybe because of bundling with pre-made HTPCs, but for people who build their own? I think not. Vista MCE with all its "restrictions", no thanks. I like to keep the homebrew vibe alive :cool: I will defo buy Vista for my main rig, but not until SP1 comes out and a lot of crap is ironed out; did the same from 2K -> XP and my transition was a lot smoother than mates who made the jump earlier.

Suman

Associate
The release of Vista, the death of Win2k Pro, the Sony PS3. These will probably be the catalyst for my departure from PC gaming (note the probably before you start flaming).

Maybe Vista will be the push that games companies require to start developing for Linux?

All those limitations on your control over your own hardware can't be good, nobody likes that. Maybe the great unwashed will decide enough is enough?

It's all maybe though, nothing will be known until it actually arrives.

As for upgrading from your 9800pro, wait for the x1900/7900 releases which are almost upon us and make your decision then. Would be pointless shelling out the money on a top end card with the replacements a matter of weeks away.

Man of Honour
Of course, it'll be a while yet before DX10 is mainstream. Things which require DX10 hardware aren't coming out anytime soon, in relation to the lifespan of graphics cards.

Back
Top Bottom