Any point upgrading?

Associate
Hi,

Hope this makes sense...

At present I have a computer with an Asus A7n8x deluxe mobo .1gig ram.2.7mhz processor and ati 9800pro card. I'm not sure how old this stuff is, but I kind of stopped playing games on this computer a while ago because I was struggling to get many fps and it was laggy. I know that the motherboard can support 3gig ram and a quicker processor, but was wondering whether this would make a significant different in performance, or whether it would be a better option to just start again and get a new computer?

Thanks

Associate
By the sounds of it your system is a *bit* old and is going to struggle to run the majority of new games coming out, case in point, Crysis.

If you can wait a couple of months, the new line of graphics cards X2 and 9xxx series are just around the corner along with Intel's new chips.

If you can't...

You could upgrade your current box, but you would be relying on legacy hardware.. depends how much effort you want to put into it.. and cash you have available.

You could do a phased upgrade with an Asrock board, and keep your old graphics card/memory and upgrade the new parts as an when you have cash available. Something like: Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA.

As Billy says though, you can do a decent budget upgrade for around 300-400£ and would give you a future upgrade path at a later date and would be able to handle the majority of games at a decent frame rate and resolution.

Associate
Thats a socket A board isn't it? If so, you're in the same boat as me, Full upgrade would be you're best option if you want to play any current games really. For £500 you should be able to put together a fairly capable machine, with some upgradability built in.

Associate
OP
Thanks for responses. Judging from replies I recon I'll just wait for a bit then get a new system when I got the doa.

C64

C64

Soldato
Upgrading the ram to 2 gb would give you a very nice boost if you can find some cheap ddr i'd consider that.
If you are looking to run games with all the eye candy at high resolution I would start over.

Back
Top Bottom