Any reason not to go for a 4TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD ?

Soldato
Guys i really need some more storage and was hoping to buy a 4TB NVMe M.2 but the prices of them is still much more then am willing to spend (They cost around £600 to £1,000 :(:mad:)

So with much regret am now looking at buying a 4TB SSD instead.
The one i been thinking of buying is the 4TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD

What do you guys think of this SSD ? (It going be used for games ;))

Soldato
OP
Best value seems to be 2TB MX500, I have a few of them. Often available at ~£150. Any reason why it has to be 4TB in a single volume?
I Hate having lots of smaller drives with my stuff scattered across them
Like at the moment just my steam games alone are scattered across 4 different drives :(:(

I really need an 8TB M.2 or SSD but there none for the price am willing to pay, Plus they use the slow QLC or QVO memory

Last edited:
Permabanned
Guys i really need some more storage and was hoping to buy a 4TB NVMe M.2 but the prices of them is still much more then am willing to spend (They cost around £600 to £1,000 :(:mad:)

So with much regret am now looking at buying a 4TB SSD instead.
The one i been thinking of buying is the 4TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD

What do you guys think of this SSD ? (It going be used for games ;))

Nobody will have one it is just out, I have the 2x 4TB 860 Evo's for Storage (different controller) and they are fine and gaming will see little to no gain in loading times from a fast SSD to NVME.

Associate
For reads QVO is fine and that's mostly what games are. On the higher capacities the write speed and endurance is still perfectly acceptable as well as long as your not doing large sequantial writes all day. Much better prices on the second hand market too, SSD prices accross the board need to come down a notch at retailers based on what people are willing to pay on the auction sites for both new and used drives.

Soldato
The 870 EVO is barely any faster than the 860 EVO. So the older one is worth considering if you can find it at a good price. I use the 860 EVO as a games drive.

The 860 PRO can sometimes be found for around the same price. Again, very little speed difference but this one is MLC and so has twice the endurance (TBW). I have one of these in another system which has a write-heavy workload.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The 870 EVO is barely any faster than the 860 EVO. So the older one is worth considering if you can find it at a good price. I use the 860 EVO as a games drive.

The 860 PRO can sometimes be found for around the same price. Again, very little speed difference but this one is MLC and so has twice the endurance (TBW). I have one of these in another system which has a write-heavy workload.
From the places i looked at the new 4TB 870 EVO (£365) is cheaper then the 860 evo i seen

I ordered one of the 4TB 870 EVO earlier today

Caporegime
For reads QVO is fine and that's mostly what games are. On the higher capacities the write speed and endurance is still perfectly acceptable as well as long as your not doing large sequantial writes all day.

So there's no real issue with me thinking of upgrading a 512GB EVO (and using that as an external drive for PS4) and replacing it with a 2TB QVO for PC game installations?

Associate
So there's no real issue with me thinking of upgrading a 512GB EVO (and using that as an external drive for PS4) and replacing it with a 2TB QVO for PC game installations?
I'd go for it. The QVO drive is still plenty fast. Just check the write cycles covered under warranty are going to be enough otherwise you might want to go with the EVO. 720 TB should be plenty though and the drive would likely do many more than that as well.

Associate
also worth having a look around at the half height form factor cards, sometimes you can come across datacenter intended ones for ok money, many people skip them because they look and see they might be last gen, or are not as flexible a form factor, but given the provisioning is usually better and as you pointed out where a number of other consumer units use QLC, it is unlikely these datacenter intended drives will, these then become well worth looking at

I think I saw an Intel 4TB DCP3608 Series card sell for less than 400 not long ago, those were in the thousands when new

Associate
I ended up getting a 2TB Samsung QVO a couple of years back purely as a games drive as it was under £200 and way cheaper than better ones in the range especially at that time.

Purely as a games drive it's actually been great, there was a Linus or Steve video about loading times that proved for just games loading those QVO drives aren't bad at all.

I might even get a 4TB QVO as well purely for games so can just install everything.

Soldato
From the places i looked at the new 4TB 870 EVO (£365) is cheaper then the 860 evo i seen

I ordered one of the 4TB 870 EVO earlier today
I am thinking of getting one also, purely for games, as i read on internet, that games use mainly 4K random read, and these as competitive as both PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 4.0-based NVMe M.2 drives for that, how big a Over-provisioning did you use for the 4TB ssd, 10% ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom