1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any significant differences in DVD RW drives here?

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Angilion, 6 Oct 2009.

1. Angilion

Man of Honour

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=10&subid=951

10 drives, much of a muchness in specs and price. Is it such a mature technology that the drives are pretty much the same? Also..what are the differences between the 4 Optiarc drives?

I'm after something that is relatively quiet in use, so I'll get the quietest one if there's any significant difference.

2. Hotwired

Sgarrista

I chose mine simply by the way the bezel looked :D

Seriously, you'd have trouble fitting a razor between the lot of them.

Went for a Sony, black bezel and the tech logos like DVD, Compact Disk rewriteable, RW DVD+R DL are all black too, merely slightly raised in the black plastic. Button is a nice rectangular thing which looks better with the many straight lines of my case instead of a round button.

AD-5240S does everything normal people use and more
    AD-7240S does all that plus writing to DVD-RAM
    AD-72401S does all the 7240S does and does Lightscribe

I'm using the AD-7240S.

For some reason OCUK has the AD-7240S and the AD-7241S at the same price so if lacking any good reason you might as well get the one with Lightscribe.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2009
  3. Ace Modder

Antec Rep

Optiarc AD-5240 series doesn't do DVD-RAM and AD-7240 does do DVD-RAM, AD-7241 does RAM and Lightscribe.

Half and retail boxed, and half are oem