1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any skyline owners here ?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Enzo, 1 Jun 2006.

1. Enzo

Hitman

Just need a quick question answering

I have had a skyline for a month or so now and want to replace the faded steering wheel that came over with it from japland

Anyway was told that you could just go into halfords and they would be able to fit a momo or somthing similar...but no

Anyway they say that because this has an airbag fitted i can only get hold of one from Japan, is this true ?

If anyone knows of somewhere a little closer please let me know

Cheers

2. paradigm

Caporegime

You could get the airbag disabled and removed, then you can fit any wheel you want. However disarming airbags isn't that straight forward.

3. agw_01

Capodecina

Isn't it? :confused:

In my car, you disconnect the battery and leave it for 20 minutes or so for the circuit to discharge. Then you can go about removing the airbag from the steering wheel.

4. Enfield

Soldato

Or you could just drive into a tree. :D

Halfords probably didn't want to mess about with the air bag, simply because they wouldn't know what they're doing! But I see no reason why you can't just fit a 'racing' steering wheel without an air bag.

5. Enzo

Hitman

6. kaiowas

Capodecina

Another option may be to get the existing wheel retrimmed.

7. penski

PermaBanned

Kick the bumper, set off airbag, remove wheel.

*n

8. Enfield

Soldato

Hehe.

He'd have to kick it pretty damn hard!

9. One More Solo

Capodecina

What's worse, a nasty steering wheel with an airbag, or a nice one embedded in your face? :p

10. Trifid

Sgarrista

Well don't crash it then. ;)

11. Chris1712

Sgarrista

Durzel had a mint R34, but im not sure if he still frequents these forums. Checkout www.gtr.co.uk, excellent owners club with tonnes of info.

12. Confused

Sgarrista

You can quite easily remove airbags - leave battery disconnected for a while before doing it, though. You'll probably find there's a connector so you can short out the pins on the airbag - if this is the case, connect this straight away, to short out the firing mechanism and stop any small sparks setting it off.

You'll then likely need a resister to fit into the wiring harness on the car, so that it "emulates" the appearance of an airbag, and doesn't log an error code on the SRS ECU - if you've got a passenger air bag, it will still allow this to function.

Of course if you don't feel happy playing with airbags (basically small explosive charges!) then don't :)

13. NightShadow

Wise Guy

14. timbob

Mobster

15. MNuTz

Banned

16. Durzel

Soldato

You'll need to get a Momo boss for it as well I think, there's probably a part code specific to your Skyline model/year.

When I was looking at getting a Nismo steering wheel I found out I had to get the boss as well to stop the airbag system having a fit, and you need to get a different one depending on whether you've got passenger airbag, etc.

17. floatindolphin

Wise Guy

you have to get the right boss so that the rear wheel steering will work. It's about £120 I think (buying a new steering wheel doubles in price)

I used to have a silver r33 GTS-T :)

18. c0caine

Gangster

19. Dave85

Sgarrista

I though airbags where dangerous? and that if it went off accidently it could kill you.

That one just looked like a baloon and not very safe if it goes off when something just touches it.

20. wsurfa

Hitman

Pop onto gtr.co.uk, I had a bit of a faded wheel on my old R33 and was going to get it retrimmed, but as I was doing c 15-20k miles a year I sold it. That was about 2 years ago and I still regret it.

Unless you want a Nismo one, I'd look into having the original retrimmed as I prefer the look.