Any UPVC window experts?

Soldato
Looking at upgraded our windows at home. Not too sure how to tell the difference between good and bad UPVC windows, can anyone help out?

Had a few quotes from a some local window companies, had two quotes for around £4k for 5 windows whilst another quote was at £6.6k. Does this seem high? Bearing in mind I live in Greater London (near Heathrow) and of the 5 windows 1 window is 2.8mx1.5m and another 2 are 2.2mx1.5m.

Of the two companies with the lowest quotes one uses PlatinumNRG windows whilst the other manufacturers their own but using Synseal Synerjy profiles. The PlatinumNRG windows is Secured by design with 6 point locking systems whereas the Synseal ones has 9 point locking systems. Does anyone know much about these windows? Are these profiles good quality?

Thanks.

Soldato
I haven't head of PlatinumNRG before, but looking at the site it looks to be decent with multiple chambers inside the profile.

I have used Synseal in the past and it seemed good quality. Similar to the Elite 70 windows I usually use.

Locking systems are usually universal, so you could specify the better lock on the window profile you like the best. 6 point would be fine, due to the nature of pvc its very hard to bar open the sash with even the standard 2 x roller bolt, 2 x shoot bolts, so a further 2 bolts would be very secure.

The prices seem high to me, but I live in the north. Probably a good idea to ask friends and get a few more quotes.

Soldato
The weak point is the glass anyway, so if you're worried about security ask for laminate in your most venerable windows. (for eg: downstairs)

I'd go for a company that manufactures their own windows and doesn't just buy them in.

We used to use Synseal profile in my dads company, good quality, never had any issues.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. Will try and get a few more quotes.

The weak point is the glass anyway, so if you're worried about security ask for laminate in your most venerable windows. (for eg: downstairs)

I'd go for a company that manufactures their own windows and doesn't just buy them in.

We used to use Synseal profile in my dads company, good quality, never had any issues.

Any particular reason to go for company that manufacturers their own window over companies that buy them in?

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. Will try and get a few more quotes.

Any particular reason to go for company that manufacturers their own window over companies that buy them in?

From experience they can sort out any issues far quicker. Someone I work with has literally had 6 full sets of house windows that have all come with faults and had to get them all made up and re-sent again, taking weeks in between.

Soldato
The company I worked for bought the windows from a big manufacturer near by and any manufacturing faults were dealt with immediately. When you're buying thousands of pounds worth of windows a week they wouldn't make you wait if there is a manufacturing fault.

Almost all window companies will buy them from a big manufacturer, but they probably all claim they make their own.

Back
Top Bottom