1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any websites to find lockup garages?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by saitrix, 18 May 2006.

1. saitrix

Sgarrista

Hi,

I am wondering whether anyone knows how you find lockup garages to rents. Any ideas?

2. atomiser

Wise Guy

Get in touch with your local authority - probably best to go to your District Council, rather than County Council. My landlord has just rented a single garage down the road from the house for £5 per week.

Alternatively, the local rag is sometimes a good place to look.

I know it's not websites like you asked for, but it's a start!

Hope this helps.

3. aztechnology

Mobster

Depends where you are, and what kind of lockup you want.

For standard garage sites, you r local council would be a good place to start. for Lockups and workshops, look in the Local propery papers, that's where I got mine a while ago.

4. saitrix

Sgarrista

All i need is a garage to store a car really.

5. aztechnology

Mobster

Local council then, their rates are a lot cheaper than my lockup was, and you won't have to bother with council tax for it.

If you can't acutuall y get one online, your local council website should give you contact details to apply for one.

6. saitrix

Sgarrista

Brilliant :D, any idea what sort of price region we are talking about?

7. aztechnology

Mobster

spose that depends where you are,

I'm in Kirklees (up north) and I have 2 garage plots, one with a garage and one without, they cost me £40 apiece annually. The prices are increasing at 9% until 2007( or 8) then inflation linked thereafter. I do have the extra cost of actually putting a structure on them, but cheapo 2nd hand concrete sectional gages can be had for £150.

I've got them until I no longer want them, or the council want them back. (They could decide to put housing on them I suppose, bu I think the ones I have are pretty safe). If I ever want rid of the plots, I have to remove the structures, in practice though I'd just sell the structures in place to the next tennant.

As a comparison, we where paying £120 a month for a private Lockup used as a domestic garage. It would fit 4 cars and still have some space to work. We had it for a couple of years, but the council suddenly decided we should be paying business rate tax on it and wanted about £2000 in back tax. We got them to wiave the back tax, as we where originally told it was exempt, but they then want £800 a year in tax, so we packed it in.

8. F355

Mobster