Anybody bought any HP EPYC Servers recently?

Soldato
I shall give it another bash. Not sure why I was having so many issues. I am not entirely sure I have tried again since I put the epyc servers in. Im going to the DC on tuesday so will give it another look. Thanks for giving it a bash dude. Ill let you know how i get on :)

Yeah let us know how you get on.

Some other screenshots of the PCI devices from the host:
EhN2uab.png

And when you select the configure passthrough option:
ZDac8RC.png

If the devices are available to passthrough, it should just be a case of ticking those boxes, and then adding it to the VM.

If they don't show up there, then might need someone a bit more knowledgeable with VMware to give some pointers :).

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Randomly interested in any opinions on Darktrace, hear mixed things about it from my customers some who love it some not so much.

Soldato
Randomly interested in any opinions on Darktrace, hear mixed things about it from my customers some who love it some not so much.

I deployed it in a previous company as a trial/POC and absolutely loved it, but it's expensive which was my main blocker as I had a budget of £0 :rolleyes:

Caporegime
I deployed it in a previous company as a trial/POC and absolutely loved it, but it's expensive which was my main blocker as I had a budget of £0 :rolleyes:
This. Their product works very well (and their hospitality events are superb ;)), but I couldn't convince the powers that be it was worth the spend. Went with a far cheaper (and worse) platform in the end.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
This. Their product works very well (and their hospitality events are superb ;)), but I couldn't convince the powers that be it was worth the spend. Went with a far cheaper (and worse) platform in the end.

Which one out of interest if you don’t mind saying? (trust me a message if you don’t want to put it public)

Reason for my interest is I work for a vendor with some stuff that has some overlap on features, so compete with them now and again.

Expense is one thing I’ve heard from customers, high false positives was another bug bear of some, but didn’t seem to be everyone.

Man of Honour
OP
Which one out of interest if you don’t mind saying? (trust me a message if you don’t want to put it public)

Reason for my interest is I work for a vendor with some stuff that has some overlap on features, so compete with them now and again.

Expense is one thing I’ve heard from customers, high false positives was another bug bear of some, but didn’t seem to be everyone.

I think we need to talk in a bit more depth. Currently looking at options in this space. Can probably help or give opinions on some of the other questions you have asked also :)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I think we need to talk in a bit more depth. Currently looking at options in this space. Can probably help or give opinions on some of the other questions you have asked also :)

Hah well feel free to send a message, our stuff isn’t like for like the same as dt, Vectra, Stealthwatch etc, more SIEM type stuff but with some overlap..

Soldato
Hi, We bought EPYC 7302 - 16 core. Was quoted 10-14 days with a CTO (configure to order). Obviously with everything that went on our order got delayed. Ordered Mid Feb, delivered end of last week.

Still the same situation for us at work when trying to sell HPE racks running EPYC chips. I can see maybe two in immediate stock but everything else is on the 10-14 day CTO lead time. Absolutely loads of Intel Xeon based SKUs sitting on shelves ready to go, despite HPE warning us of Intel constraints and delays just before the quarantine kicked in.

It's a bit weird, my SMB customers want EPYC but there's barely anything on the shelf and ready to go.

Soldato
It's a bit weird, my SMB customers want EPYC but there's barely anything on the shelf and ready to go.

AMD have really hit the wall with 7nm supply from TSMC presently they are throwing out everything they can, I paid 18% more for 2x 7452's compared to Feb this year as I needed them, the price trend seems to be on the up and large OEM's seem to be struggling to keep up with demand.

Soldato
I forgot to tell you that I managed to make it work... It's still slow, but meh it works!!

Ah good! How slow is slow? I would say 9.9 times out of 10 it's usually down to the client that's under-resourced. If you're doing a low-bandwidth (and why wouldn't you ;)) backup, then all the deduplication hashing and chunking is performed on the client. It basically does all the heavy lifting.

Soldato
I forgot to tell you that I managed to make it work... It's still slow, but meh it works!!

Ah good! How slow is slow? I would say 9.9 times out of 10 it's usually down to the client that's under-resourced. If you're doing a low-bandwidth (and why wouldn't you ;)) backup, then all the deduplication hashing and chunking is performed on the client. It basically does all the heavy lifting.

Man of Honour
OP
@Armageus - Thought you might like to see the magnificence of this: So nearly finished! Ill pop back to the DC at the weekend to move the last few and swap those last 3 over... They said I was mad... :D

Yes every last one will be a mini pc and all in a single rack like an absolute animal!

I still think I might be a bit mad but the maths works out. They will pay for themselves in just 8 months after the buyback on the old 400 g5's. All the while im saving on rack space condensing 3 racks into just 1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom