Anybody know anything about old Whiskey?

Caporegime
OP
Some scotch buff will pay a fortune for that for his collection.
Stick it on the bay!

little update:

How right you are !

I contacted the glenfarclas distillery who promptly forwarded the e-mail onto their current Owner and Director John Grant. It was his great,great grandfather who established the brand in 1865.

Cut a long story short they know of some collectors who would be very interested in purchasing it. They valued it at approx 300 euros so £250 ish.

Think im going to sell it, especially as i've been left another bottle of what appears to be (from my googling) even more expensive still :D

Soldato
sell and then buy a £5 bottle as they all taste the same. you can then buy something decent with the £260

Stop spouting rubbish. The variety of taste in Whisky is huge.

Personally I'd keep the bottle but if you're not into Whisky you might be better off selling it - especially as you'll likely get upwards of £300 for it.

Soldato
Drink it!!!!

£250 isn't a great deal in the scheme of things and as you have not paid for it you might as well drink it! I think that's what your grandmother would have preferred you to do, rather than just sell it!

Soldato
I actually think you should keep it. You will earn £250 many times over in your lifetime, whereas you will never, ever inherit from your grandmother another bottle of whiskey. If it's drinkable, keep it for those rare, special occasions. If not, put it on display in a drinks cupboard.

Once it's gone, you may never get it back. Think it over for a couple of weeks.

Soldato
little update:

How right you are !

I contacted the glenfarclas distillery who promptly forwarded the e-mail onto their current Owner and Director John Grant. It was his great,great grandfather who established the brand in 1865.

Cut a long story short they know of some collectors who would be very interested in purchasing it. They valued it at approx 300 euros so £250 ish.

Think im going to sell it, especially as i've been left another bottle of what appears to be (from my googling) even more expensive still :D

Fair enough, though 300 Euros is more like £300. :p

Caporegime
OP
I actually think you should keep it. You will earn £250 many times over in your lifetime, whereas you will never, ever inherit from your grandmother another bottle of whiskey.

Thats not the only one i've got ;)

but this one wasnt actually intended for me. It was just left lieing about undrunk to be kept for a special ocassion and never got openned. Ive got another equally old one thats addressed to me and was bought before i was born and was labelled not to be openned till my 21st.

i could never sell that as its personal, but the one above isnt the only one, so i can sell in clear conscience.

Caporegime
OP
well this hasnt quite gone to plan.

Asked the distillery to forward my details on to the interested parties and not heard a thing.

I know one or two expressed an interest in buying it. If any of you were actually serious Drop me an e-mail in my trust details.

Soldato
Keep the bottle FFS... think how much it'll be worth in another 40 years. Really worth selling something like that for a paltry £250?

Suspended
Stop spouting rubbish. The variety of taste in Whisky is huge.

To an educated palate that may be the case. I have to be honest, whiskey just makes me ill, I can stand the stuff - it does all taste the same to me :(

I'm still impressed by people who enjoy it and can explain the differences between whiskies of each region etc.

Soldato
give them time its only been a few days. I have lots of really old wine left to me some over 30 years old and some port aswell. No idea where to get them valued if they are indeed worth anything.

Soldato
The Whisky Heritage centre in Edinburgh has the worlds largest collection of Whisky. I can't remember the name of the person who owns the collection but allows the centre to display it but it maybe worth contacting them.

Man of Honour
i've already said. I've got more than one ;)

So keep it then you'll have several to sell for even more in 40 years time. Do you really need 250 quid that badly?

If you do sell it, for your own sake spend the money on some household cleaning products and sort that grubby desk and monitor out :p

Back
Top Bottom