Anybody know if you can run inverters in parallel?

Permabanned
Whilst everyone is mentioning cost and noise...what about fumes. I think youll find the environmental health people will have a thing or 2 to say about you running an engine for 12hours+ a day in a residential area. Now diesel fumes are bad, but smelling of chip fat - youll pee off a lot of people very quickly when thier washing stinks like a deep fat fryer.....you have been warned ;) :p

Soldato
OP
Veg oil fumes are less "smelly" than diesel, it doesn't choke you as much. I've got a social club (with all day cafe) on one side and deli with friers two door in the other direction.

The noise is fixable, i'm wondering how much oil i have to burn before anybody actually notices! :)

Soldato
OP
Soft start?

Been looking at more inverters on the bay, some of them are listed as "soft start", umm, wassat?

Been nosing in my CU and the flat runs 1 x 6A, 3 x 32A & 1 x 40A trips, so i need to find out which 32A circuit runs which areas of the flat, been considering a handful of inverters, but using one per circuit (thinking big unit for kitchen/utility room, one for living area, then one for the bedrooms, HOPEFULLY the circuits will be broken down that way!, aslong as the cowboys that built this place didn't share neutrals and other clever things :eek: )

Of to that highstreet electronics place (lets be honest, you've seen their prices, i don't see how they can call them a "competitor" :confused: ) later to get my hands on a litle pluggin item called a "kill-a-watt", useful for measuring the kwh consumption of whatever item is plugged into it, ie, total running power of all the telly kit, or the fridge, or the utility room, etc)

So far so good. Nearly killed myself getting Dave out of the van though, not the lightest of things! :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want run the exact connections you are going to make to the flats electricial system by me, I'll point out any obvious safety flaws to you

<- dab hand with electrics and wannabe sparky

Don
SB118 said:
Been looking at more inverters on the bay, some of them are listed as "soft start", umm, wassat?

You've probably already found out already, but as far as my limited electrical knowledge goes, soft start is where you ramp up the operating voltage to limit starting currents, particularly on large induction motors which can cause harmonics in your supply if I remember correctly.

Probably not something you would particularly need for home use, but I could be wrong.

Jokester

Associate
Jokester said:
You've probably already found out already, but as far as my limited electrical knowledge goes, soft start is where you ramp up the operating voltage to limit starting currents, particularly on large induction motors which can cause harmonics in your supply if I remember correctly.

Probably not something you would particularly need for home use, but I could be wrong.

Jokester

I run two of those type of inverter in my workshop one for the lathe and the other for the miller both are 400w motors
the thing with these is that you feed them with 240 vac single phase and get a variable frequency 220 vac 3 phase out at 60 hz

this gives me a soft start and varable speed control at constant torque because the voltage is constant , turn the speed control to max press the on button and the motor gently speeds up

Back
Top Bottom