Anyone been to Norway?

Caporegime
Fancy surprising SWMBO this year with a trip to Norway to spend a romantic few days driving around, soaking up the jaw-dropping scenery and learning about some of the old Viking culture!

Also, we've been watching Vikings...we wanna go see the fjords and stuff :p

Anyway, anyone here been? any recommendations for times of year to go? when to avoid? places to go? things to do?

TIA :)
Jake

Soldato
Depends entirely on what you want to do and when you want to go. The far north in the Lofoten islands is absolutely stunning, but I wouldn't go in the depths of winter as the sun won't really rise! Bergen and Kristiansand are both very pretty. Again, I think the spring/summer would be the time to go. The big caveat would be if you were desperate to see snow/northern lights which is only possible in the winter. It's beautiful, but not aways the most exciting of places unless you are mad keen on the outdoors. I would try to find a hytte somewhere!

Caporegime
OP
tom_nieto;30493101 said:
Depends entirely on what you want to do and when you want to go. The far north in the Lofoten islands is absolutely stunning, but I wouldn't go in the depths of winter as the sun won't really rise! Bergen and Kristiansand are both very pretty. Again, I think the spring/summer would be the time to go. The big caveat would be if you were desperate to see snow/northern lights which is only possible in the winter. It's beautiful, but not aways the most exciting of places unless you are mad keen on the outdoors. I would try to find a hytte somewhere!

Thats awesome, thank you!

For Northern lights we're looking at Iceland next year. But thinking of a late summer long weekend this year maybe :)

Soldato
I spent a week in Aalesund up the west coast. Direct flights from Manchester. I hired a mountain bike and rode around some islands. I took a fishing trip out on a boat. I went to a big music festival. Ate reindeer.

Soldato
I haven't been but I've seen a few programmes on TV and it looks worth a visit. Henry Cole did a World's Greatest Motorcycle Rides programme on Norway, see if you can find it (Quest TV).

Places of interest:

Bergen

Sognefjord, longest Fjord in Norway

Voss has an extreme sports festival every year:

http://ekstremsportveko.com/photo

Not that I recommend anything too dangerous, but probably an interesting place.

Associate
Been to Norway a few times with work, I love flying in low and seeing all the brightly coloured houses with their wee private piers and boats in amongst the fjords and rivers.

Beautiful place, Bergen is stunning, but yes, beer is bloody expensive. And their coins have holes in the middle :)

Caporegime
OP
Bergen is sounding and looking like a good idea. Looking on a map it looks like we can drive around and check out/photograph the scenery. Enjoy the city.

Time to check out some prices!

Soldato
I've been to Oslo in the past and last year went out walking in the Hardangervidda National Park in the winter. Oslo didn't really do it for me but the mountains were stunning. Luckily we didn't have any chance to spend money during the week but when we got back to Oslo to fly home everything was ridiculously expensive.

Soldato
Been to Stavanger (coastal town), Rosendal (Fjords), Eidfjord (Fjords) and Haugesund (coastal town).

The first 3 were all lovely places, Rosendal and Eidfjord and the surrounding areas were amazing scenery.

Stavanger was a nice town for a wander, west of the dock are some nice quiet back streets with really nice little houses and to the east more of a shopping town.

Rosendal walking around the area there are some fantastic bits of scenery, mountains and rivers etc. We also went around the coast to Bondhus to walk along the river to get a view of the glacier. We were on a fairly tight timescale so went up to the first lake and back in 2hrs but you could easily spend a whole day up there.

Eidfjord again an amazingly scenic area for a wander around, we also had a quick trip to the Vøringfossen falls and a whistle stop at Sysenvatnet dam. Which again are gorgeous places.

Haugesund we weren't overly impressed with, we got the impression it was more of an evening place with lots of restaurants and bars. Otherwise there didn't seem like there was much to see or do in town.

Soldato
Been to Tromso and saw the Northern lights, it was amazing. Also done a fjords tour which and saw some amazing scenery. Went to Iceland the year before and the weather was rubbish for the whole trip so didn't see the lights. In Tromso your in the arctic circle so theres a better chance if seeing them.

Caporegime
OP
Well I looked into Bergen, then Tromso...it all looks so amazing :(

Although it seems like Oct/Nov is just a bad time to go, its almost raining constantly!

May need to rethink this for early next year...

Back
Top Bottom