Anyone else get their foot caught when using the clutch?

Associate
Just beginning to learn to drive right now. I have been out in the dual control car several times with my dad. I have big feet (size 14) and I am finding that when I take my foot off the clutch it is sometimes getting caught on the trim above the footwell. This creates problems cause to get my foot out I have to try to reposition on the clutch or just suddenly remove it. Part of the problem I think is that the clutch has such a long travel my leg needs to go far forward, if my foot didn't have to travel so far forward I wouldn't have problems retracting my foot. I think part of the problem is my height (6'3"), I have to put my left leg to the side of the steering wheel in the corsa rather than underneath it.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Soldato
Yes. The Lotus gives me these sorts of issues.

6ft tall but 13 shoe size - clutching foot gets stuck sometimes and my right foot sometimes during hard acceleration finds itself stuck behind the brake pedal. Not a nice place to be!!

The Lotus pedals are spaced abhorrently close together which is convenient for lazy driving, but an absolute nightmare when things go wrong.

Associate
I'm 6'2" and size 11-12 shoes and I've had this problem with some cars. Luckily I don't have this problem with my Focus :)

Soldato
I have size 12 feet and I get that problem from time to time. It's certainly something you notice a lot when you start to learn, especially in a small car. I had a Clio and I could only wear certain types of shoe as some would catch (either on the well above/around the clutch or coming close to pressing more than one pedal at once if not careful!).

I'm not that tall, around 5'11", just have the big feet issue. I have a friend who is size 15, he hasn't learnt to drive yet...

Soldato
I had that happen at times in the current gen Focus, but soon learned how to move my foot to avoid it

Never had it happen in any other car though

Associate
Yup I used to have this problem a lot, I managed to get used to it, I think I moved my heel a bit closer to the seat and I had my foot at a slight angle.

Not a problem in my Mondeo though.

Associate
I've had it when we had a rental Lacetti a few years back. I've been OK in the Focus (mk1) and our other car is a Zafira B which has loads of room. Maybe adjust the steering wheel to bring it further out (more leg room underneath then if the seat goes back too).

Commissario
I used to find my size 12/13 feet would get sometime caught on the clutch of some cars when wearing certain shoes, in my case I found wearing proper shoes (not trainers) helped solve the problem, combined with a change in seating position.

I would try different seating positions, and possibly a change of shoes.

Associate
Not a problem in my 200 but I do find it in the company Focuses and my dad's Rover 75.. Nearly took the rubber trim off the pedal earlier today when I got my foot caught :p. Size 12.

Associate
OP
Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Yup I used to have this problem a lot, I managed to get used to it, I think I moved my heel a bit closer to the seat and I had my foot at a slight angle.

Not a problem in my Mondeo though.

Is that with the mk3 mondeo? I was thinking of buying one when I pass my test. I was horrified when I saw in my dad's vectra the other day. I had a play with the pedals and the same problem was happening even in the vectra! :eek:

Soldato
Just beginning to learn to drive right now. I have been out in the dual control car several times with my dad. I have big feet (size 14) and I am finding that when I take my foot off the clutch it is sometimes getting caught on the trim above the footwell. This creates problems cause to get my foot out I have to try to reposition on the clutch or just suddenly remove it. Part of the problem I think is that the clutch has such a long travel my leg needs to go far forward, if my foot didn't have to travel so far forward I wouldn't have problems retracting my foot. I think part of the problem is my height (6'3"), I have to put my left leg to the side of the steering wheel in the corsa rather than underneath it.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I did when I first started lessons but then again it was a **** clio.

Soldato
If it's only sometimes there is obviously enough room, but not much more. Try wearing thin soled slip on shoes when driving, aside from being less chunky than most footwear you'll be able to feel the edge of the pedals so you won't get into the situation where your feet are too close together.

Also, have you adjusted the steering wheel to be as high as possible? You may also be able to move the steering wheel out, allowing you to move the seat back and get more leg room.

Soldato
get some puma/adidas "driving" style trainers (the adidas goodyear or puma speedcat), I find these MUCH better for driving in smaller cars. I tried to drive an elise in my work shoes, which were quite thick soles at the time. Not fun. Went back in adidas goodyear trainers, so much better :) thinner soles, narrower footprint....much better.

Tom.

Back
Top Bottom