Anyone else suddenly getting lots of requests from Google/Youtube to accept Cookies?

Man of Honour
I haven't had any pop ups about accepting cookies but get one trying to get me to sign into Youtube at every visit.

Why would anyone install that? It lets websites install whatever cookies they like on your machine by basically choosing the "accept all cookies" option for you. No bloody thank you.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Is this addon still working for you on Google and Youtube?

I'm signed into Google usually so I don't think I see those popups anyway fortunately.

Why would anyone install that? It lets websites install whatever cookies they like on your machine by basically choosing the "accept all cookies" option for you. No bloody thank you.

I don't really mind. The popup is more annoying them them having a bit of random information on me.

Actually if you team it with something like uBlock which I use then that will also block a good chunk of tracking services. Similarly Firefox defaults to blocking tracking cookies etc nowadays anyway.

I'm sure there's a load of other privacy extensions to block the backend stuff.

Caporegime
Not cookies, but Google/YT have been spamming me with CAPTCHA tests e.g. select all of the buses, select traffic lights, select crosswalks etc. It usually says that I'm wrong and can take over 10 pages of tests before I complete it.
often when it says select all the traffic lights or whatever a tiny part will be on a square and I'm wondering if it needs clicking or not.

I think often they aren't configured properly or whatever and have the wrong answers associated with them especially the ones with letters

Associate
yeah every time i clean my cookies daily next day i get hit with google cookie and youtube cookie. but only i view a ytube vid in private mode, cuz i dont what to add that vid to the my algorithm

Man of Honour
I haven't had any pop ups about accepting cookies but get one trying to get me to sign into Youtube at every visit.

That's the main purpose of the change. GDPR is just what Google is using as an excuse for pushing people into only using Youtube when signed into Google so it's easier for Google to track everything they do and use it to manipulate them and make money off them. That's why the sign-in popup (a) comes first and (b) is designed to push people into signing in. It's also related to why adverts at the start of a video are shown without any pop-ups - it's about profit first and GDPR second to provide an excuse for something Google want to do on Youtube but haven't yet dared to do worldwide.

I've taken to faking my location and avoiding it that way for the time being.

yeah every time i clean my cookies daily next day i get hit with google cookie and youtube cookie. but only i view a ytube vid in private mode, cuz i dont what to add that vid to the my algorithm

Cookies on my PC are deleted whenever I close the browser window, which is often, and whenever they haven't been used for 30 seconds. Business will still track and manipulate me, but I won't make it easy for them.

Soldato
Not cookies, but Google/YT have been spamming me with CAPTCHA tests e.g. select all of the buses, select traffic lights, select crosswalks etc. It usually says that I'm wrong and can take over 10 pages of tests before I complete it.

These are particularly stupid when you consider all the images and language if from another country. I can imagine some people especially non-english speakers (it's not always translated) saying WTF is a 'crosswalk'

Soldato
What I find irritating is, with the advertising/cookie pop up I get when I search with Google, there is no decline button. You have to accept and then go back and switch it off.

Soldato
OP
Well Ublock Origin annoyance setting seems to no longer do anything as of the last week i've started getting " accept our cookies " to use this site all over the place.

Soldato
Anyone found anything to stop this?
Adgaurd AdBlocker stops the google annoyance and most other annoyances for me, works with the latest Firefox and the new windows edge, can be download and installed from firefox addons and the microsoft store directly from the browser. When installed you will be prompted to enable some filters but you can go a bit deeper into the adblocker details and enable more filters, there is also a stealth mode, I also think it works in private window.

Soldato
Adgaurd AdBlocker stops the google annoyance and most other annoyances for me, works with the latest Firefox and the new windows edge, can be download and installed from firefox addons and the microsoft store directly from the browser. When installed you will be prompted to enable some filters but you can go a bit deeper into the adblocker details and enable more filters, there is also a stealth mode, I also think it works in private window.

I will try that.
Thank you :)

Man of Honour
The size of the Googles accept cookies banner is getting ridiculous.

I'm getting full pages now, not just banners. That's a new thing in the last couple of days. But I no longer have to give gstatic.com full permission to do what it wants on my PC, so I consider it an improvement. After the full page "if you don't log into your Google account while watching Youtube you must accept every cookie" thing, I get a nag window popping up to try to get me to log into my Google account while watching Youtube. But that's still a choice, unlike the cookies. Good job too, since I don't have a Google account and don't want one. All cookies are temporary on my PC, anyway. Session only and that's at most. Any that aren't used for 30 seconds are deleted and all are deleted when I close the browser. My IP address varies and is fake anyway. My geolocation is fake. Of course Google spies on me as much as possible as that's what they do. That's what Google is for, what the business is. But I don't need to make it easy for them.

If you described the spyware situation today to someone from 30 years ago, they probably wouldn't believe you. It's become worse than even the conspiracy theorists thought it would be.

Back
Top Bottom