Anyone else think Sin City was Style over substance?

Caporegime
It's possible it was a case of style over substance, only because there was so much style. It captured the comic book perfectly. The only part I'd say dragged was when Bruce Willis' character is in jail. Other than that it was pure quality from start to finish.

Out of the films of 2005 though, I preferred Crash.

Che

Che

Associate
I thought it was terrible. The advert was quite stylish and cool but the actual movie left me wanting a quick and painless assisted suicide.

Soldato
Saw it three times at the cinema. Only because different mates hadn't seen it..

But, i'll agree with those above it certainly lacks longevity, 3rd time was just plain boring. And probably won't bother buying the DVD, even if a sweet-ass special edition does come out.

Shame, really. I'd like it to be a truly great film, but it just isn't. :(

And best film of 2005? Puhleeease, nowhere near. :)

Hitman
Permabanned
The film was much more aimed at comic book fans than the general public, I think. I've seen the books, and as an adaptation of them, the film was almost perfect.

Caporegime
Bracco said:
The film was much more aimed at comic book fans than the general public, I think. I've seen the books, and as an adaptation of them, the film was almost perfect.
I wish I had read or at least taken a look through the comics before watching the film because I didn't think much of the film and didn't really understand the point of it.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Bracco said:
I'm not so sure. I saw it with my parents and all 3 of us loved it. I've read comic books, although not Frank Miller's until after seeing the film, they've never read any.

Mind you, I was a bit too busy enjoying it to analyse it much and work out why I was enjoying it :p

Man of Honour
[Triumph the Insult Comic dog mode]

It's a great movie...

...For me to poop on!!!

[/Triumph the Insult Comic dog mode]

Having seen it twice *second time I was forced* I decide that it was possibly the 2nd worst film of the year for me - only just above Harry Potter..

It was beautifully filmed - but interest wise....

Well, there was none. I would have rather watched Gigli than this film.

Simon/~Flibster

Last edited:
Associate
I found the film really good. I appreciated the cheesyness at parts, but it only drew me further into the plot and atmosphere of the film.

Cant wait for 2 and 3 as well! Hopefully will be better... People always say that though!!!

Hitman
Permabanned
Haly said:
I'm not so sure. I saw it with my parents and all 3 of us loved it. I've read comic books, although not Frank Miller's until after seeing the film, they've never read any.

Mind you, I was a bit too busy enjoying it to analyse it much and work out why I was enjoying it :p

Oh don't get me wrong, I didn't read any of the books until after I saw the film and I enjoyed it. I can see though, having now read some of the books that a lot of the film is lifted directly from them, and that's why I don't think the film was doing any more than really than trying to bring the books to "life".

Back
Top Bottom