Anyone else's spelling awful?

Man of Honour
I think its largely down to changes in the way education is handled these days, when I was a kid we had a 20 word spelling test every single day at school. The ability to spell was simply ground into us. I think thats something which has generally faded away and I do wonder how many schools today bother with spelling tests.

I was mildly surprised a few years back to discover that a pupil at one of the schools I was working at had received a top mark for a piece of English coursework they had done despite it being littered with spelling errors. At the time I was told that the spelling was being ignored as the girl was getting the gist of what she was writing across which was the important thing. At the time I thought it was silly as spelling should be an integral part of a language course.

Soldato
I has a educamations.

No, seriously, I went to school and resisted the temptation to become one of the throngs of people who would type and text in slang/short-hand. I was always good at spelling, but I made a point to rise above the sea of illiteracy and communicate in a proper fashion.

I do make spelling mistakes from time to time, and I do slip with punctuation/grammar as do the best of us.

Language is how we define and express our percieved reality, and as such, I refuse to allow myself to slip into the popular trend of being illiterate.

Soldato
By the time I was 7 I'd read every single Roald Dahl book without help.
I think thats why I've always had decent english skills. I don't often come accross a word I can't spell.

Soldato
It doesn't help that a lot of people pronounce words incorrectly and then proceed to spell them how they pronounce them.

I think is because 'people' don't tend to read as much (quality) these days. Also the way language is taught has changed in to more of a 'learning phrases' rather than learning and understanding the grammatical makeup and origin of words etc.

Associate
I remember one of my teachers from a few years ago commenting on the fact that my writing style, spelling and grammar in my first assignment with her were all far beyond my years, and thought that I had plagiarised or something as a result.

What I'm trying to say is, my spelling and grammar are impeccable.

My handwriting, though...

Soldato
I remember one of my teachers from a few years ago commenting on the fact that my writing style, spelling and grammar in my first assignment with her were all far beyond my years, and thought that I had plagiarised or something as a result.

What I'm trying to say is, my spelling and grammar are impeccable.

My handwriting, though...

In before a grammar nazi stalks you for the next 6 months on the forum, pointing out every single tiny typo until you beg for mercy! ;)

Back
Top Bottom