Anyone else's spelling awful?

Associate
My spelling used to be AWESOME in primary school, two years running I got 10/10 every week for spelling. Then, one fateful day, I got a 9 (Excellent has a C?!?!) and ever since then my spellings gotten gradually worse. It's terrible now, such potential gone to waste :p

Soldato
I tend to find that I miss words more than mis-spell them. I guess I'm a little impatient and just whizz away, never bothering to double check what I've typed. Never use spell checker on a forum either.. Do sometimes read what I've posted after I've click Post and if I can be bothered, I'll go back in and edit it.

Good spelling is important. Yes computers have contributed towards the lack of good spelling, much like mobile phones have removed the need to remember peoples phone numbers. Back in the day on a rotary, you had to remember every bleedin' number of everyone you knew !

Caporegime
My handwriting is awful. Due to aircraft paperwork having to be filled in with capitals and 20 years doing the job, now when I start to write 'proper joined up' I end up writing a bit in lowercase before slipping in a few capitals.

My spelling is average these days, I hate it when you get a word and for 30 seconds even starting to spell the word has slipped your mind and you end up trying to google the simplest of words. I just had to friggin google simplest :(

Soldato
spelling and handwriting is poor but it stems from rushing all my work when younger to get outside with the girlie's :)

thank god for spell check :)

Soldato
My spelling is not good but I still critisise posts which are obviously written by someone who just doesn't give a **** rather than someone who has a genuine problem.
All the excuses have been tried yet most people can tell when a poster is just a lazy **** who will blame anyone or anything except their own ignorance.

Associate
I'm dyslexic* although it doesnt help working in technical support writing things like "warned of data loss, left on full recovery" all the time. Muscle memory can be a bit* (big) problem if i'm tired, i even surprise* my self with things like "Dude, i had to get a new coat today because my old one wouldnt uninstall" ....when i ment unzip. I kid you not, it can be that bad sometimes. Quite funny in chatrooms at work.

*either google'd to double check spelling or corrected after double reading

Last edited:
Soldato
noap mi spellins awsesum mi gr4mer is frkin leet to 11111

But seriously, my favourite on the forum has been "pre-madonna" not "prima donna". That's not bad spelling, that's ignorance of the highest order. If you don't understand it, don't use it...

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Spelling and grammar is **** poor in the UK because it's just not taught properly anymore, if at all.

That, and the fact that people are spending more time reading poor grammar online by others rather than literature that has been proofread.
Plus kids are reading much much less than they were twenty, thirty years ago.
It's a shame..

Man of Honour
Spelling and grammar is **** poor in the UK because it's just not taught anymore.
It's ridiculous but such is the state of affairs that is the UK :(

Very sad, but true. People are also lazy as well, at least before spelling and grammar was poor, but now with txtspk etc., it's deliberately bummed up.

Associate
I think my spelling is pretty good although from time to time I have to ask the missus how to spell the odd word, she's a teacher and pretty clued in.
My hand writing has always attracted comments, guys in work give me grief about writing like a girl, folks have said how neat it is. Don't write anywhere near as much as I used to so it's probably went down hill over the years.

Soldato
I think that correct spelling is dismissed as irrelevant these days by the ignorant/lazy people that think it doesn't matter as long as you can, at length, understand their garbled typing.
The curriculum doesn't seem to explain the importance of grammar and spelling as an aid to easier reading, interpretation and understanding these days. Seems like Tony Blair has got his wish to see correct spelling perceived as an elitist activity, now all spelling is equal...

Soldato
I've definitely noticed a deterioration in my spelling over the years and I honestly put it down to computers. My handwriting is also painful to look at, my mum says I have a doctors handwriting and again I put that down to always being sat in front of a computer, either at home, college or work and never needing to handwrite anything.

I however tend not to use "txt" speak in favour of a full word, so I dread to think what a kids spelling is like when they have grown up with it, using it daily.

Associate
I allways think things are spelt wrong, even when they arn't. Ive started to just give up trying and spell check it. Also spelling isn't a problem when handwriting because you can barlely make out the word, nevermind the letters!

Associate
My handwriting, spelling and grammar are all pretty shocking to be fair and always have been.
I find recently i try and do my best to actually pay attention to words that i do misspell and learn the ones i do not know.
I do however try to keep use of text slang abbreviations to a minimum as i think they have destroyed the English language. I really do hate seeing posts just littered with 'LOL' 'LMAO' '***.'

Back
Top Bottom