Anyone ever accepted a counter offer after being offered a new job?

Associate
I have been offered a new job with 20% payrise.

On hearing about it, my current employer countered with an offer of a 30% rise.

Current job has more holiday and better benefits (pension, health scheme, etc) but the work isn't as interesting as the new role.

What would you do?

Man of Honour

Current job has more holiday and better benefits (pension, health scheme, etc) but the work isn't as interesting as the new role.

What would you do?

Never accept it. The dynamic has changed as they now know you want to leave.

Soldato
If you chose to leave, there must be more reason than just the money.

If you accept your current revised offer where you currently are working, you may find yourself scrutinised, and even subject to nigh-unfair treatment. Namely, them looking to devalue you and criticise your work. They may also put you atop the 'redundancy' list if that time ever comes.

Leave, draw a line under it, start afresh.

Soldato

What would you do?

Get the offer and contract in writing with current employer! :p

No seriously, I would go with what you want to do. Sure money is nice, but if you feel the new employer will allow you to grow and make your work more interesting I reckon that is worth something.

That said it could all be lies and misrepresentation. Out of the frying pan, and all of that malarky! :p

Also, now your current employer has seen signs of wavering loyalty, the job might not be the same. It is funny how these things change the work place dynamic.

Caporegime
10% difference of what? If it's a very large salary then I might stay with the current employer. If not I'd go to the new role because as Taylor Swift so eloquently sang with that ginger chap, everything has changed.

Thug
Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;26062042 said:
10% difference of what? If it's a very large salary then I might stay with the current employer. If not I'd go to the new role because as Taylor Swift so eloquently sang with that ginger chap, everything has changed.

Solid advice from FNG's **** bank!

:p

Associate
It's nice to know you're wanted from your current employers. Annoying to know that they can up your wages by 30% just like that. They obviously knew they were under paying you..

Soldato
No - I was counter offered when I left my last job, but it was around work conditions and I had already told them that I would have to leave if they couldn't make them better.

When I then resigned 2 months later they tried to tell me they could change - but I wasn't really interested in working for an employer that I had to hand in my notice to get a change from.

If it is enough money to make a real difference to your short term finances then consider it - but expect to be looking again in 6-12 months as whatever made you look in the first place other than cash will still be there. On the Flip side just occasionally it does work out and an employer realises that they need to push you forward in their business.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Yes. I was offered a job that would add another 50% onto my pay, i accepted - handed my notice in - they counter offered with matching the rival offer and a bit more, and a promotion to a new role - i took it and a year later i havent looked back.

You need to look at the reasons for leaving - if you hate it there, why would a counter offer change your mind? Contrarily, if you like it there but left just for more money - then a counter offer should keep you there.

Soldato
Why did your employer not give you this money before?

Will more money solve all of the issues that caused you to seek a new job in the first place?

These are the key questions.

The majority of people who accept a counter offer end up moving on within 12 months anyway.

Unless the only reason you were looking was money, take the new job.

Soldato
I was in a similar situation some years ago. The new job had less employee benefits (worse holiday, pension etc.) but was a sizable pay rise. My manager couldn't beat the new salary, but they did offer me a pay rise to stay and reminded me of what I would be losing to start somewhere new and also promised to support me in gaining promotion. I ended up staying and although I've been through a lot of changes since then I do think I made the right decision.

Soldato
I wasn't getting the progression I wanted a few years ago so looked for and got offered a new job. My then current employers offered me a rise and a promotion to the area I wanted so I stayed. 7 months later I was made redundant. Thankfully a competitor hired me 4 days later and I have now been there 6 years and have gained more qualifications and experience than any if the people doing my role at the old company.

Back
Top Bottom