Anyone ever hitchhiked ?

Associate
was really drunk once at around 6am started to feel really hungry as I left the pub(after hours) a friend and I hitchhiked to the nearest services to get some bacon and egg rolls! Dam they were nice :p

A lady picked is up who was very nice and polite iirc we gave her a pound or two for her trouble :)

Hybrids

Associate
penski said:
Once...Wearing a dressing gown and clutching a towel.

Was quite an adventure; met a cute girl and a depressed metal guy...

*n

lol. One day they'll make a film of your adventures Penski and it'll be like a comedy, horror, romance self piercing mustard fest! Perhaps one to save for Cannes :D.

Soldato
vonhelmet said:
Never done it myself. My mum used to do it from time to time when she lived in Finland. Apparently it used to be safe as houses to do it back then. One time she was out hitchhiking with her cousin and they got a ride with a couple of men in the back of a big van. At some point along the way the van pulled off into a forest and started slowing down. They figured they weren't going to like what happened next so they opened the back doors and legged it. Crazy days. They quit hitchhiking after that one.

Eek :/

Soldato
we were absolutely mortal after coming from a house party, there was 5 of us, 4 of us wanted to go home to A, while the other wanted to go home to B. we told her to get the bus while we waited for our bus. this lass then starts flagging cars down randomly, these 2 mean chavs get out and me and my mate think we are going to get a beating, they get back in the car and drive off. Next car to be flagged down is the tandoori man doing deliveries, he gives us a lift to B and then A at about 100mph, thought i was going to die lol, looking back on it it was quite funny :p

Permabanned
Visage said:
Used to do it a lot as a student.

The best one I ever managed was a lift from the outskirts of Leeds with a lorry driver who happened to be delivering something to a factory about 100 yards from where I wanted to go to in Wolverhampton.

Genius.

I would NEVER hitch a lift with someone going to Wolverhampton :eek:

You brave,brave man :)

Man of Honour
vonhelmet said:
Never done it myself. My mum used to do it from time to time when she lived in Finland. Apparently it used to be safe as houses to do it back then. One time she was out hitchhiking with her cousin and they got a ride with a couple of men in the back of a big van. At some point along the way the van pulled off into a forest and started slowing down. They figured they weren't going to like what happened next so they opened the back doors and legged it. Crazy days. They quit hitchhiking after that one.

Cheers, you've just reminded me of a couple more. First night out in Finland I managed to end up wandering miles outside town and stopped someone who took me back into town where I then proceeded to walk all the way back to the student halls and had to kip outside the door as I didn't have keys at that point. Second time in Finland was after another night out and I was merrily walking home when along comes a police van who then offered to take me back to halls, I should emphasise that I wasn't doing anything wrong at this point, it is just that Finnish policemen seem to have nothing better to do most of the time.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Yes, I did a lot hitchhiking when young, both with a friend, and alone. Generally it was late teens. But the youngest was with my cousin when we were both 12. We'd missed the last bus home and didn't care for a 10 mile walk late at night. I still can't believe that we dared do it, and got away with it. We both swore to each other that we'd not tell a soul about it while we were both still living, and we kept to it. At my cousin's funeral three years ago, I gave the eulogy, and during it admitted the hitchhiking incident. I got a lot of stick afterwards from his parents, but fortunately my mother didn't hear what I'd said.

Looking at hitchhiking from the other side, I've also given lifts on numerous occasions. Up to about 15 years ago I rarely drove long distance without giving someone a lift. It always made the journey seem to go quicker, having someone to talk to. In those days, pretty well every exit from motorway service stations had one or more people hoping for lifts. Things have changed since then; I now very rarely see anybody waiting.

Soldato
OP
By no means a barometer of society in general but I sense a lot of people either wouldn't do it or offer a lift (myself included.) Amazing how much trust we lack in each other

Permabanned
Hell, yeah! :D

Great fun. I used to hitch hike down to a friend's in Wolverhampton from Stoke, with a bit of bus at each end. One lift dropped me about 200 yards from his door. Which was nice ;)

He and I also hitched to (and from) Stonehenge in '88, via Oxford because a previous lift had told us about a pub called "The Old Brewery and Bakehouse", aka The Brewie, so we thought we'd give it a try.

And I hitched to the Holiday Inn on the A2, can't remember the name of the town now, to work on the gas privatisation. One muppet insisted on stopping in the middle of the M25/M23 junction to let me out as he was going to Gatwick. So 8 miles of hard shoulder later (why is there never a policeman around when you want one?) I came to the services, phoned my mate who was managing the canvassing team only to be told that they were "celebrating" and I'd have to get the rest of the way as well :(

So it's 10:30 at night in January; it's cold and it's wet; I'm at the services on the M25 and it's another ~60 miles to warmth and bed, and ~150 back home. Then a woman, with three kids asleep in the car gave me a lift to the A2!!
I had a lump in my throat as I said thank you to her for her kindness.
I walked down the slip onto the A2 and a Police Rangerover kindly insisted on taking me the rest of the way.

I hitched down to Cornwall for the eclipse in '99 - another memorable occasion.
I met up with Mickey (Michaela) and Paul at the 1st services on the M5 (forget the name now) and he took us as far as Gordano near Bristol. We got talking (as you do) and ended up having a coffee there. When we came out, we found that there was quite a queue of people waiting to hitch from "the" spot, so we settled down, got chatting to various other folk, talked about lifts we've had, someone skinned up and we were all chatting away like we'd known each other for years! Brilliant evening, occasionally interrupted by goodbyes as someone got a lift :)

It was getting late by this point so various people wandered off in search of quiet corners of fields to pitch tents in - I found a horse's field shelter full of hay and had a warm, comfy and sweet-smelling bed.
Next morning after breakfast I got talking to a German guy who'd decided that he wanted to see the eclipse from where it first made landfall, so he'd hitched from near Dusseldorf, and one lift had taken him from about 10km from home and onto the M4 near Slough. Then down the M5 to the bottom. They breed sarky coppers round there btw. I grinned and held up my "St Ives" sign to a cop car and the passenger held up a "Police" sign, grinned and stuck his thumb up! Git! As I couldn't find the people I was supposed to link up with in St Ives, I went on to where Mickey and Paul were camping, coincidentally the same one my ex and I stayed at in '90.

And on the way back the A3 was crowded - it looked like the London rush hour had got lost. Necessity proved that it was quite easy to nip over a hedge, answer the call of nature (ladies too!), and gently saunter back to your car. And all the good natured conversations going on from one car to another was fun - "Haven't we met before?" "Yes, about 10 yards ago." type thing.
I got stuck at Gordano again. Each services has a MTBL - mean times before lifts. Keele and Hilton Park are about half an hour, Gordano is usually 3+ hours. There were six of us hitching from there, two girls, a couple and another chap. Then this old lady (just retired) picked up all six of us and took us up to the 1st services on the M5.
As she said, she's had many lifts in her time, so it's only fair to put something back in :)

Which is the philosophy I subscribe to.

Soldato
breakdown4cr.jpg

And that's why you don't hitchhike [/Arrested Development]

Kurt taught me everything I know, he gave me the guts, determination, and ambition to succeed.

Soldato
A few times but that was at the island to people I knew. Well once my friend and I got a ride with this whacko that almost killed us, idiot lol he had his kids in too.

Soldato
pyro said:
A few times but that was at the island to people I knew. Well once my friend and I got a ride with this whacko that almost killed us, idiot lol he had his kids in too.

You've got to go into more detail if you post that!

Soldato
OP
Treefrog said:
Hell, yeah! :D

Great fun. I used to hitch hike down to a friend's in Wolverhampton from Stoke, with a bit of bus at each end. One lift dropped me about 200 yards from his door. Which was nice ;)

Snip

Fantastic story thre Treefrog

Soldato
MarkyMark said:
Never picked anyone up.......but here's something for you all to try. Next time you see them with their arm out and their thumb up just stick ya thumb up back at them like ya best mates and carry on driving :D :p Then check ya rear view mirror for a bag of mixed abuse :p
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha.

Good man :D

Back
Top Bottom