Anyone getting dreadful speeds with BT right now?

Soldato
I've been with BT 8mb broadband for nearly 2 years now and I don't know why I've stuck with them for so long. I've tried getting my mac code a few times, but they never send it to me! Its my right to have my mac code but they keep messing me around!

For the past few days, web pages have been timing out and I've been getting really slow download speeds. Has anyone else been noticing slow speeds with BT?

I really want to switch over to sky, but I need my mac code first. Argh!

Tip: DO NOT GET BT BROADBAND! You're better off with dial up!

Soldato
I am, but I think I may be getting capped, which I still find ironic considering I'm paying for 'Unlimited' :rolleyes:

356115015.png

Ping is normally low 30's. I've noticed my noise margin drops in the evening leading to the decrease in download speed, I'll need to do a bit more testing before I say for definite that I'm being capped.

Associate
I've tried getting my mac code a few times, but they never send it to me! Its my right to have my mac code but they keep messing me around!

Just phone them and ask for your mac code.

When I wanted mine, the BT guy asked why I wanted it, explained the problems of slow internet after a line fault and been messed around for 2 months sorting it etc etc etc..... he offered me cheaper internet (at the cost of another 18 months), but I just told him It was not about money, it was their service and I would like my mac code, he gave it me there and then..... 10 days later I was on BE. :D

Sel

Sel

Associate
I've been with BT 8mb broadband for nearly 2 years now and I don't know why I've stuck with them for so long. I've tried getting my mac code a few times, but they never send it to me! Its my right to have my mac code but they keep messing me around!

They have to give you the MAC code within 5days, if they don't call them and if they still won't give it to you there and then report them to OFCOM.

My download speeds had dropped from 350kbps to 20kbps, at one point I was getting 20kbps 24/7 with BT.

Got my MAC and I'm now with O2 and paying half the price, download speeds even at peak times are over 500kbps even on my long line.

Sel

Sel

Associate
sel - can you comfirm if you mean kbps or kb/s? 500kb/s is pretty good but 500kbps is about 60kb/s

Sync 5,103 kbps
Attenuation 56db

Sorry downloads with my O2 connection are 500kb/sec - 540kb/sec as long as the server at the other end isn't slow.

Downloads with BT were down to 60kb/sec throttled and 20-30kb/sec capped.

Last edited:

Sel

Sel

Associate
Yep, i've been getting horrendous speeds with BT right now.50kbs almost all the time, the highest i've seen it go is 2mb speeds, and even then it was brief.

What speeds should you get for your connection, without know what your stats are 2mb may be a good sync.

Sel

Sel

Associate
BT are capping people from 5pm while 12pm to 512k and throttling ports in my area.

I think they now just throttle as a mater of course, my speeds before throttling even at peek times were quite good and showed little sign of congestion, they couldn't have signed up so many customers in 24hrs.

I've said it many times BT increased the allowances for option 1 and 2 and started Vision HD at the same time as my speeds fell.

All you can do is move, BT won't invest so it could get even worse.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I really want to switch over to sky, but I need my mac code first. Argh!

Tip: DO NOT GET BT BROADBAND! You're better off with dial up!

Switch to Virgin Media - no need for a mac code. :)

a lot faster than BT for half the price! :) - I should know, I changed last Thursday, a few router issues apart, its great. :)

My results the last time I checked when i was on BT.

215844417.png

Last edited:

Sel

Sel

Associate
Ok then less than 2mb sucks, it maybe BT's equipment is more sensitive to noise on the line but it's more likely it's just rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom