1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got a BenQ 1655?

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by MeatLoaf, 27 Mar 2006.

1. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Anyone got one and waht do you think of it. I was going to get a Plextor PX-755 but im not sure now.

2. Rambaud

Wise Guy

Very happy with mine.

I have a BenQ 1640 and Philips 1640 (aka BenQ1620) also.

3. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Yeah i used to have a Plextor 740 which i think is also based on the benq 1640. Only sold it coz i couldnt get a black bezel ofr it.

4. smids

Soldato

One of the best writers/scanners around. Don't own one but this is generally the accepted view.

5. Slackworth

Capodecina

I generally find Plextor are the best full stop. They're usually the first to bring out new designs and the fastest speeds. They're also the most reliable (obviously you get some bad drives) but we probably get far less back.

Only problem with Plextor is the high price.

6. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

The price dosent bother me, i paid over £80 quid for my current 716A last year. I needed it specifically because of its support for CD+G.

Im still not sure tho, i could get the benq, and if i dont like it sell it on MM i suppose. But the Plextor brings another question. SATA or IDE? I would like the SATA version but as i only have the basic A8N-SLI ive only got one SATA port left. Will it happily co-exist with my HDDs on the same controller? And is it possible to install windows off a SATA drive?

Also ive always had plextors from the days when they were first to bring out an 8x SCSI cd writer. Never had any problems and there RMA process is very quick. They had a new drive with me within 48 hours last time i had to RMA one.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2006
  7. Slackworth

Capodecina

If it is the SATA ports on the nForce4 chipset then it'll be fine.

8. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Yup its on the nforce controller. Ive got 4 ports in all. Port 1 has my raptor boot drive on it, and ports 2 and 3 have the 2 maxtors on. The plextor would have to be on port 4

9. Slackworth

Capodecina

:) That's fine.

10. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

I went for the Benq in the end as they always seem to get good reviews. Now im going to have a play with the free lightscribe cds that it came with..