Anyone got a new shape fiesta?

Soldato
The GF fancies a new car, and likes the new shape Fiesta.

Budget only allows a prefacelift, anyone got one that can offer any input? I reckon they will be a better car than the equivalent Polo/Corsa.

Would be one of the little petrols, is the 1.25 the same Yamaha unit they have been flogging for decade? What's the 1.4 like?

What's the minimum trim level worth looking at?

Cheers

Soldato
1.25 Zetec is your best bet:

Alloys
Foglamps
Bluetooth
Quickclear
A/C
Elec Windows
Elec Mirrors
CD with USB/MP3

You could go to Titanium (1.4 minimum engine) but it only really adds Cruise Control, Climate Control, Auto lights/wipers and dimming mirror as well as Privcy Glass in the rear. Titaniums tend to have around £1000 premium over Zetec.

1.25 = 82PS (80-ish BHP)
1.4 = 96PS (94-ish BHP)

You can pick up a decent low mileage 12 plate 1.25 Zetec for circa £7K-£7.5K

Soldato
My Mum got a new fiesta, 63 reg.

She went for the 1L Because it has a turbo i think. Had a bit more oomph in acceleration than the larger ones without a turbo. I had no input in her decision. Its not the fastest thing in the world, but it gets off the line reasonably adequately.

She got it in Candy blue, gives me a headache.

Caporegime
Got a fair few on the fleet at work (diesel van variants) surprisingly nice to drive (even the one with 240k on it!) much much better than the older ones which were ancient sheds in new clothes.

Soldato
They're not bad, I'm driving a 1.6 petrol on a 59 plate at the moment and it's made it to 110,000 miles with nothing expensive going wrong with it. It's done rather well.

Soldato
OP
Budget won't stretch to the 1.0T unfortunately, she only potters round town in it, so i don't think the low power of the 1.25 will be an issue, but either that or the 1.4 will be fine, condition is more important than engine in this instance.

Are there any common faults with them? The 1.25 is a chain isn't it?

Soldato
Pretty sure it's a belt. The 1.25 is a duratec engine and my 1.6 is also a duratec and that needed the cam belt changing by 100k. Everything I've read on a quick search suggests it's a belt also.

Soldato
I had a 1.6 TDCi one. It was a pretty decent car, although the gearing meant that you're on boost at 70, which meant that you get a lot worse economy than by doing 65.

My only criticism would be that the panel metal is especially thin, and it doesn't have any bump strips along the doors.

The 09 1.6 TDCi would be second hand engine I'd go for if I was doing it again though. It was the model before the introduced a DPF.

Mum had a 57 reg Corsa. Same 89hp engine that went into a 1997 R Reg Astra. Thirsty, slow, constantly went wrong.
Now has a 10 reg Fiesta. Don't bother with the peasant 'style' model as it looks awful with those crappy wheel trims. A 1.25hp 82PS is the engine she has. It has little oomph but is not pathetic either - About right for a mum not interested in cars.

I recommend:
2008-2010 1.25 82PS zetec 3 door.

Soldato
I found it very vulnerable to dents in car parks. :(

FiestaSmash.jpg

Associate
I have the 1.6 2009 Zetec S - I did however test drove both the 1.25 and 1.4 engines, Both feel fairly nippy.

The dash is rubberized with dashes of plastic but not a terrible place to be. I'd advise against the 16" wheels, can be uncomfortable and cabin noise isn't great, however much improved noise and comfort on the 15" wheels.

Radio is very good as standard, USB+bluetooth is usually optional but worth it so try to find one with it on (you can retrofit this but it costs a bomb and a couple of dealer visits to flash car software).

I've had 0 issues with mine, also a Duratec engine. I can get 45-46 mpg if i drive carefully, the 1.25 will easily hit 53 and the 1.4 easily 50 (petrol variants)

there's not an awful lot of leg room in the back so make sure you sit in there to check its adequate.

Back
Top Bottom